A calculation about coherent state

In summary: Both forms are used to represent the same thing, just in different notations. The first form is more commonly used and easier to understand, but the second form is used in this case because of the time-evolution with the laser frequency.
Robert_G
Hi, there. The following is copied from a book " atom-photon interaction " by Prof. Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Page 415.

If the laser mode is in a coherent state ##|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle## with ##\alpha## being real, Then the average value

##\langle\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)|E(R)|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle=\mathscr{E}_0 \cos(\omega_L t)##

with

##\mathscr{E}_0=2 \epsilon \sqrt{\frac{\hbar \omega_L}{2 \epsilon V}} \sqrt{\langle N \rangle}##

##\langle N \rangle = \alpha^2##

and

##E(R)=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar \omega_L}{2 \epsilon_0 V}}\epsilon_L(a+a^{\dagger})##

I do not understand it at all. I do know some thing about the coherent state.
such as

##a |\alpha\rangle = \alpha |\alpha\rangle##

and

##|\alpha\rangle = e^{-|\alpha|^2/2} \sum_n \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle##

But I don't understand what's going on here.

(1) Why the coherent state is ##|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle##?

(2) ##\langle N \rangle = \alpha^2## means ##\langle \alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)| N |\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle = \alpha^2##?

(3) Where does the ##\cos(\omega_L t)## come from in the first equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Robert_G said:
(1) Why the coherent state is ##|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle##?
The exponential is just the time-evolution with the laser frequency.

(2) ##\langle N \rangle = \alpha^2## means ##\langle \alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)| N |\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle = \alpha^2##?
Write N in terms of a and ##a^\dagger## and let them operate on the different sides, that should work.

(3) Where does the ##\cos(\omega_L t)## come from in the first equation?
It is composed of the two exponentials on the left side, but I didn't check in detail which part comes from what.

mfb said:
The exponential is just the time-evolution with the laser frequency.

Write N in terms of a and ##a^\dagger## and let them operate on the different sides, that should work.

It is composed of the two exponentials on the left side, but I didn't check in detail which part comes from what.

In a book called quantum optics by M.O.Scully, the eigen-state of the operator ##a## is written as ##|\alpha\rangle##, Here, in the book by Claude. the eigen-state is ##|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle##. This is the same thing. The latter is just using the form of ##\rho e^{i \theta}## to represent the complex eigen-value of the ##a##.

am i right?

Probably, yes.

What is a coherent state?

A coherent state is a quantum state of a system that exhibits classical-like behavior. It is characterized by a well-defined phase and minimum uncertainty in position and momentum.

What is the significance of coherent states in quantum mechanics?

Coherent states have several important applications in quantum mechanics, including in quantum optics, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. They are also used in theoretical models to understand the behavior of more complex quantum systems.

How is a calculation about coherent state performed?

The calculation involves finding the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the annihilation and creation operators for the system. From these eigenstates, the coherent state can be constructed using a weighted sum of the eigenstates.

Why are coherent states sometimes referred to as "classical-like" states?

This is because coherent states have similar properties to classical states, such as well-defined position and momentum, and they follow classical equations of motion. However, they still exhibit quantum behavior, such as superposition and uncertainty.

What are some real-world examples of coherent states?

Coherent states can be found in various physical systems, such as in laser beams, electromagnetic fields, and Bose-Einstein condensates. They are also used in practical applications, such as in quantum cryptography and quantum communication.