Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A calculation about coherent state

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    Hi, there. The following is copied from a book " atom-photon interaction " by Prof. Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Page 415.

I do not understand it at all. I do know some thing about the coherent state.
    such as

##a |\alpha\rangle = \alpha |\alpha\rangle##

and

##|\alpha\rangle = e^{-|\alpha|^2/2} \sum_n \frac{\alpha^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle##

But I don't understand what's going on here.

(1) Why the coherent state is ##|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle##?

(2) ##\langle N \rangle = \alpha^2## means ##\langle \alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)| N |\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle = \alpha^2##?

(3) Where does the ##\cos(\omega_L t)## come from in the first equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The exponential is just the time-evolution with the laser frequency.

Write N in terms of a and ##a^\dagger## and let them operate on the different sides, that should work.

It is composed of the two exponentials on the left side, but I didn't check in detail which part comes from what.

4. Jul 6, 2014 #3
    In a book called quantum optics by M.O.Scully, the eigen-state of the operator ##a## is written as ##|\alpha\rangle##, Here, in the book by Claude. the eigen-state is ##|\alpha \exp(-i\omega_L t)\rangle##. This is the same thing. The latter is just using the form of ##\rho e^{i \theta}## to represent the complex eigen-value of the ##a##.

am i right?

5. Jul 8, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Probably, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook