1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A circle tranforming into ellipse

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    I don't know what category this question falls into. I have two parallel planes, on one I draw a circle and on the other I project it orthogonally. Now I incline the plane with the circle. The projection on the other plane will be an ellipse. I need to find out, the relationship between the angle of inclination and the eccentricity of the ellipse.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    I've figured it out. If a is the semi-major axis, b is the semi-minor axis of the ellipse and r is the radius of the circle, then a= r and b= rcosθ (θ is the angle of inclination). Now it isn't difficult to find the eccentricity of the ellipse. But.. how to prove that an inclined projection of a circle is an ellipse in the first place?

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    Look at the projection of a circle between parallel planes as a cylinder. then the angle of the second plane intersects the cylinder.

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4
    I was looking for a mathematical proof of "a non-uniform scaling of a circle changes its shape into an ellipse".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook