A circuit problem from Thevenin's theorem (I cant work Vth out)

In summary: From here, you can solve for the voltage on the left side of the node. In summary, the homework statement asks for equations for voltage at the leftmost node, and the person provided equations for voltage at the leftmost node when converting current into Thevenin equivalent as a hint. They then state that they are not sure if the symbol for a current source is an arrow or a plus sign, and provides a hint that suggests turning the 4A current source and its parallel resistance into its Thevenin equivalent. They state that when they get to this point they have both voltage and current of the dependent voltage source in terms of vth. They then state that they can solve for the voltage on the left side of the node.
Toyona10

Homework Statement

Greetings to all,

I can't work the Vth out (across terminals a and b) from the circuit in the image I've attached here.
There was a hint in the question too:' ... Define the voltage at the left most node as 'v', and write 2 nodal equations with Vth as the right node voltage'. The answer for Vth given in the book is 30V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried according to the hint given but my answer didn't match. Maybe there is a mistake with my nodal equations...? This is what I came up with:

For node a: 'v'= ir= 60*4= 240V

For node b: Vth/80 + Vth/40...= 0 --------> (1)

and Vth/40 = i delta ----->(2)

Yeah I know that in the 1st equation I didnt include a term for the 20Ω resistor as I'm not sure about how to because of the dependent voltage source in between (and when I somehow did, I got weird answers :S). So, I'd appreciate it very much if anyone would kindly show me the correct set of nodal equations I need to construct to get the correct answer for Vth.

Thank you c:

Attachments

• Photo0185.jpg
    Photo0185.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but isn't that a dependent current source? It looks like it pumps current into the 60 ohm resistor, adding to the 4A.

See that node at the top of the 40 and 80 ohm resistors? There is 161.i (delta) flowing out of that node, so there must be an identical current, 161.i (delta) flowing into the node, and with terminals a-b being open, the only path for current to flow into the node is via the 80 ohms. So that tells you the current flowing in the 80 ohm resistor. (It also tells you the direction, because the sum total of all currents into a node must equal zero.)

NascentOxygen said:
I'm not sure, but isn't that a dependent current source? It looks like it pumps current into the 60 ohm resistor, adding to the 4A.

Looks like the symbol for a controlled voltage source. If it were a current source I'd expect to see and arrow inside it rather than the +/-.

As a hint, I might suggest first turning the 4A current source and its parallel resistance into its Thevenin equivalent.

NascentOxygen said:

See that node at the top of the 40 and 80 ohm resistors? There is 161.i (delta) flowing out of that node, so there must be an identical current, 161.i (delta) flowing into the node, and with terminals a-b being open, the only path for current to flow into the node is via the 80 ohms. So that tells you the current flowing in the 80 ohm resistor. (It also tells you the direction, because the sum total of all currents into a node must equal zero.)

lol sorry that it isn't clear but that's a dependent voltage source, not a dependent current source...

gneill said:
Looks like the symbol for a controlled voltage source. If it were a current source I'd expect to see and arrow inside it rather than the +/-.

As a hint, I might suggest first turning the 4A current source and its parallel resistance into its Thevenin equivalent.

Yup, that's right, it is a dependent voltage source... and I converted the source as you suggested but now what? My main problem is how will I use the dependent voltage source in my nodal equations...because the way I tried to use it is incorrect as my answer doesn't match :S

Last edited:
If you want to get everything in terms of output voltage, then start by expressing i delta in terms of vth. That is, express the current through the 40 ohm resistor in terms of the voltage across it.

Oh, I see you have that already in your first post. Good.

So now you can state the voltage on the left side of the dependent voltage source. Again, state it in terms of vth.

Toyona10 said:
The answer for Vth given in the book is 30V.
That's my answer, too.
For node b: Vth/80 + Vth/40...= 0 --------> (1)
It's now time to fix this equation. There are 3 currents associated with that node. You addressed two, and probably view them as leaving the node, so you can say the current flowing into the node must come from the dependent voltage source, emerging from its - terminal. You don't have to choose these directions, but once you settle on them you have to stay with them.

You can now write the current through the dependent voltage source in terms of vth.

When you get to here, you have both the voltage and current of the dependent voltage source in terms of vth.

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis that allows for the simplification of complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit. This simplification is achieved by replacing the original circuit with a voltage source in series with a resistor, called the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How is Thevenin's Theorem applied to a circuit problem?

To apply Thevenin's Theorem, the circuit is first analyzed to determine the Thevenin voltage (Vth) and the Thevenin resistance (Rth). These values are then used to construct the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which can be used to analyze the original circuit.

3. What is the importance of Thevenin's Theorem in circuit analysis?

Thevenin's Theorem is important because it simplifies complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit, making it easier to analyze and understand. It is also used in circuit design to determine the optimal resistance and voltage values for a circuit.

4. What is the formula for calculating the Thevenin voltage (Vth)?

The formula for calculating Vth is Vth = Voc = Voc = V1 * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where V1 is the voltage across the circuit, R1 is the resistance of the circuit without load, and R2 is the resistance of the load.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Thevenin's Theorem in circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes when using Thevenin's Theorem include incorrectly calculating the Thevenin voltage and resistance, forgetting to remove the load from the circuit before calculating Vth and Rth, and not taking into account the polarity of the Thevenin voltage when constructing the Thevenin equivalent circuit.