1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving circuit with Thevenin's theorem

1. Dec 21, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    Hey guys, I am supposed to solve for voltage and current on R4 using Thevenin's theorem here. Values are following:
    U = 100V
    R1 = 310
    R2 = 610
    R3 = 220
    R4 = 570
    R5 = 200

upload_2016-12-21_23-10-52.png
    Now, I know I need to solve for Rth and Vth, so I put the circuit into simulation and figured out voltage on R3 is equal to voltage on R4, therefore that's my Vth. Although the theorem for current on R4 is
    IR4 = Vth / (Rth + R4)
    The simulation also showed current on R4 as 0.03 and pretty much my Rth would need to be as low as 12 to be suitable for this equation, which isn't possible given the current values for all resistors. Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What have you learned about finding Thevenin equivalents? What is the procedure?

4. Dec 21, 2016 #3
    That I need to find Rth and Vth first in order to calculate current and voltage on certain resistor

5. Dec 21, 2016 #4

gneill

Okay, but what is the procedure for finding Rth and Vth for a circuit?

6. Dec 24, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

If you scroll down to the very foot of threads in these forums you will see links to older threads related to the current topic. Sometimes you will find help in posts in these earlier threads, but no promises.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/holly-1756-gif.110502/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted