A couple of things I proving.

• Thread starter guysensei1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, the conversation discusses two mathematical equations and the need for help in proving them. The first equation involves an infinite number of square roots and the second is a geometric series. The second equation is proven using the formula for a geometric series, and the first equation is shown to be deceptively simple by using the property that (x^m)^n = x^{mn}.
guysensei1
Basically, I was messing with my calculator,
and i thought of this:

sqrt(x^sqrt(x^sqrt(x^...)))=sqrt(x)^sqrt(x)^sqrt(x)^...

where they go infinitely.
I can't prove it, so I need help.

another thing is 1/(a)+1/(a^2)+1/(a^3)... = 1/(a-1)

Perhaps the proof is something really obvious I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the first off the top of my head, but I'll help with the second:

What you have here is a geometric series: [itex] 1 + r + r^{2} + \cdots + r^{n} [/itex] with [itex] r = 1/a [/itex]

Notice that you don't have the 1, so denoting the sum as [itex] S [/itex], and since [itex] (1 + r + r^{2} + \cdots + r^{n})(1-r) = 1 - r^{n+1} [/itex]

[itex] S+1 = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1 - r^{n+1}}{1-r} [/itex]

This reduces to:

[itex] S+1 = \frac{a}{a-1} \Rightarrow S = \frac{a}{a-1} - \frac{a-1}{a-1} = \frac{1}{a-1} [/itex]

Edit: typo

Actually I think the first one is deceptively simply. You know that [itex] (x^{m})^{n}= x^{mn}[/itex], so think of the square roots simply as [itex] \frac{1}{2} [/itex] exponents.

For a finite example: [itex] [x^{x^{1/2}}]^{1/2} = x^{(1/2)x^{1/2}} = (x^{1/2})^{x^{1/2}}[/itex]

Of course, this logic carries for an infinite number of exponents as well.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to "prove" something?

In science, to prove something means to provide evidence or data that supports a hypothesis or a claim. This evidence should be consistent and repeatable, making it more likely that the claim is true.

2. How do you go about proving something?

Proving something involves following the scientific method, which includes making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This process helps to ensure that the results are reliable and accurate.

3. Can something be proven beyond a doubt?

In science, nothing can be proven beyond a doubt. The best we can do is to provide strong evidence to support a claim or hypothesis. However, new evidence or data may challenge previous findings, leading to a change in our understanding of a topic.

4. What is the difference between proof and evidence?

Proof is a term used more commonly in mathematics, where a statement can be proven to be true or false. In science, we use the term evidence to support a claim or hypothesis. Evidence can come in many forms, such as data, observations, or experiments.

5. Why is it important to prove things in science?

Proving things in science is crucial because it allows us to gain a better understanding of the world around us. It helps us to distinguish between fact and fiction and to make informed decisions based on evidence rather than assumptions. Additionally, it allows for the advancement of knowledge and the development of new technologies and treatments.