Calculating Success Probability for D20 Skill Challenges in 4E D&D

• Thread starter jgsugden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the d20 probability question is to calculate the chance of succeeding on a given roll X times before failing Y times. The user is looking for a tool that they can use to design balanced skill challenges for the new 4E D&D game. They need to be able to calculate the chance of succeeding on a roll X times before failing Y times for up to 10 rolls of the dice. The user was able to find an answer that was close to what they were looking for. They will post the answer to various D&D threads once it has been tested.
jgsugden
A d20 probability question...

If you know what a d20 is, perhaps you can help out a fellow gamer who is trying to make the gaming world a better place. I'm trying to create a tool that helps people design balanced skill challenges for the new 4E D&D game.

To create this tool for fellow gamers, I need to figure out the easiest way to calculate the chance of succeeding on a probability roll X times before failing Y times. Preferably, I'd like this to be something I could calculate in excel.

I'd like to be able to figure out things like:

* The chance of rolling 5 numbers greater than or equal to 8 before I roll 3 numbers less than 8 on a twenty sided die (a d20).

* The chance of rolling 2 numbers greater than or equal to 14 before I roll 4 numbers less than 14 on a twenty sided die.

* The chance of rolling 4 numbers greater than or equal to 12 before I roll 3 numbers less than 12 on a twenty sided die.

I don't need to know how to calculate this for more than 10 rolls of the dice (# of successes needed + number of failures to avoid = 11).

Can anyone help me out and explain it in a way that would make sense to someone who's most recent experience in this arena is a basic probaility class 15 years ago?

Physics news on Phys.org

This should be doable in a spreadsheet.

Make a cell (say, B2) with the probability to succeed on a given roll (9 or higher on a d20 = 60% = 0.60). This represents the chance of 1 victory before 1 failure.

The cell to its right (C2) then represents the chance of 2 victories before 1 failure, and so on to the right. Enter the formula =$B$2 * B2 and drag to the right as far as desired. ("The chance of winning X in a row is the chance of winning 1 * the chance of winning X-1 in a row")

The cell below the first cell (B3) represents the chance of 1 victory before 2 failures. Enter the formula =$B$2 + (1 - $B$2) * B2 and drag down as far as desired. ("The chance of winning 1 before losing X is the chance of winning 1, plus the chance of losing 1 * the chance of winning 1 before losing X-1")

The cell below and to the right of the original (C3) represents the probability of 2 victories before 2 failures. Enter the formula =$B$2 * B3 + (1 - $B$2) * C2, drag to the right as desired, then drag down as desired. ("The chance of winning M before losing N is the chance of winning 1 * the chance of winning M-1 before losing N, plus the chance of losing 1 * the chance of winning M before losing N-1")

Now you just need to check me. I did this off the top of my head, so I may have made some silly mistake.

That is exactly what I needed. At first blush, it looks about right. I'll test it out later using Excel's Rand Function to make sure it works.

I'll post your answer over to various D&D threads (once tested). Thanks!

1. What is a d20 probability question?

A d20 probability question is a question that involves determining the likelihood of rolling a specific number on a 20-sided die, also known as a d20. This type of question is commonly seen in role-playing games and other tabletop games where dice are used for randomization.

2. How do you calculate the probability of rolling a specific number on a d20?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a d20 is 1/20 or 5%. This is because there are 20 possible outcomes (numbers 1-20) and each outcome has an equal chance of occurring. This can be calculated by dividing 1 by the total number of outcomes.

3. What is the probability of rolling a natural 20 on a d20?

The probability of rolling a natural 20 (a roll of 20 without any modifiers) on a d20 is 1/20 or 5%. This is because, as mentioned before, each outcome has an equal chance of occurring and rolling a natural 20 is just one of those 20 outcomes.

4. How does modifiers affect the probability of rolling a specific number on a d20?

Modifiers can increase or decrease the probability of rolling a specific number on a d20. For example, a +1 modifier would increase the probability by 5% while a -1 modifier would decrease it by 5%. This is because modifiers alter the outcome of the roll, making some numbers more likely to occur than others.

5. How can d20 probability questions be used in real life?

D20 probability questions can be used in real life situations where randomization is needed, such as in game design, gambling, and statistical analysis. They can also be used as a tool for decision making, such as determining the chances of success in a certain scenario.