A day in the life of a research mathematician

In summary, the individual is a postdoctoral research fellow and has the freedom to decide how they spend their time. They spend their time solving problems, reading articles and books, proving theorems, and attending seminars. They also have moments of feeling inspired and moments of feeling disillusioned. There is pressure to publish papers and uncertainty about the future, leading to some worry. They will soon be adding grant applications and job searching to their tasks. The individual also expresses a disclaimer that they may not be very good at mathematics, but it is unlikely with a Ph.D in the subject.
padraux3
Hi all,
I'll be starting my final year of my undergraduate degree in pure mathematics next year. My intention is to do postgraduate work and then try to get a position as a research fellow. However, I don't really know what a research mathematician does on a day to day basis, I just like the idea of being paid to do mathematics. Would anyone care to enlighten me? Also, is it hard to find research positions at universities and is it common practice for researchers to teach?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a postdoctoral research fellow, you really get to decide yourself how to spend your time.
I spend my time:

* making up problems for myself to solve, coming up with strategies and plans and deciding what I need to learn to figure out my problems.

* reading mathematics and physics articles and books.

* messing around with examples to try to understand things better.

* proving theorems (which can involve a lot of algebraic calculation, etc.).

* pondering my proofs, revising them when I find errors or better ways of doing them, checking them and checking them and checking them again.

* writing papers, writing notes for my self.

* going to seminars by people, giving some myself sometimes.

* chatting over coffee with people in the department - this is very important.Some days I feel depressed and disillusioned and get very little work done. Other times I feel inspired and work from early till late and don't want to stop. Sometimes I work very odd hours. I try to take breaks and go for walks during the day.

Since when I want to get my next job, I'll judged on my published papers and it is quite competitive, there is a fair amount of pressure to get things done. But the future is uncertain in research work (at least for me), so personally I spend a fair amount of time worrying.

Soon I will be adding "writing applications for grants, etc.", and "applying for my next job" to the list, but at the moment I am just concentrating on getting some research done. I don't really know what happens further along.

A disclaimer:
* I think maybe I am not very good at mathematics, even after finishing my PhD, so it is possible other research mathematicians are doing more exciting things with their time and never have to worry about anything.

Tiger99 said:
As a postdoctoral research fellow, you really get to decide yourself how to spend your time.
I spend my time:

* making up problems for myself to solve, coming up with strategies and plans and deciding what I need to learn to figure out my problems.

* reading mathematics and physics articles and books.

* messing around with examples to try to understand things better.

* proving theorems (which can involve a lot of algebraic calculation, etc.).

* pondering my proofs, revising them when I find errors or better ways of doing them, checking them and checking them and checking them again.

* writing papers, writing notes for my self.

* going to seminars by people, giving some myself sometimes.

* chatting over coffee with people in the department - this is very important.Some days I feel depressed and disillusioned and get very little work done. Other times I feel inspired and work from early till late and don't want to stop. Sometimes I work very odd hours. I try to take breaks and go for walks during the day.

Since when I want to get my next job, I'll judged on my published papers and it is quite competitive, there is a fair amount of pressure to get things done. But the future is uncertain in research work (at least for me), so personally I spend a fair amount of time worrying.

Soon I will be adding "writing applications for grants, etc.", and "applying for my next job" to the list, but at the moment I am just concentrating on getting some research done. I don't really know what happens further along.

A disclaimer:
* I think maybe I am not very good at mathematics, even after finishing my PhD, so it is possible other research mathematicians are doing more exciting things with their time and never have to worry about anything.

RE: your disclaimer.

I don't think it's possible for you to not be very good at mathematics with a Ph.D in it. You may not be a Gauss or anything, but it's not possible for someone not very good at mathematics to get a Ph.D in mathematics.

1. What is a typical work day like for a research mathematician?

A typical work day for a research mathematician involves a lot of problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. They may spend hours working on a single problem, using various mathematical techniques and tools to find a solution. They also spend time attending meetings, collaborating with colleagues, and writing reports or papers to share their findings.

2. What kind of education is required to become a research mathematician?

To become a research mathematician, one typically needs a Ph.D. in mathematics or a related field. This involves completing undergraduate and graduate studies in mathematics, as well as conducting research and writing a dissertation. Many research mathematicians also have a strong background in computer science, programming, and statistics.

3. What skills are important for a successful career as a research mathematician?

Some important skills for a successful career as a research mathematician include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, excellent mathematical and computational skills, attention to detail, and creativity. Communication and collaboration skills are also important for working with colleagues and presenting research findings.

4. What kind of research do mathematicians typically conduct?

Mathematicians may conduct research in a variety of areas, including pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics. Some may focus on theoretical research, developing new mathematical theories and proofs, while others may apply mathematical techniques to real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, or economics.

5. What are some challenges faced by research mathematicians?

One challenge faced by research mathematicians is the pressure to publish new and innovative findings in order to secure funding and advance their careers. This can also lead to competition and a high-pressure work environment. Additionally, the complexity and abstract nature of mathematical problems can be challenging and require a great deal of patience and persistence to solve.