A Different Sort of Arithmetic

In summary, the conversation is about a parody video involving "funny math" where someone tried to prove that 7*13=28 by playing with units and tens. The speaker is frustrated by the construction workers' efforts and asks for clarification on the attached thumbnail. Another person confirms that it is indeed a parody video.
mbrmbrg
There's construction going on in my university, and I found some fascinating figures written on one of the walls (presumably by the construction workers). It looked like someone had gone to a lot of trouble to prove that 7*13=28. Actually, assuming you can play mix 'n' match with units and tens, it's quite convincing! But it's driving me nuts. Can someone look at the attatched thumbnail and tell me what's really going on?

EDIT: the "figure 1" "figure 2" "figure 3" are my own additions.

Attachments

• FUNNY MATH.bmp
    35.3 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
7 * 13 feet is approximately 28 meters.

- Warren

This is a parody of a video circulating around the internet that involves some “funny math”:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4241480654150026320&q=funny+math&hl=en

Last edited by a moderator:
chroot said:
7 * 13 feet is approximately 28 meters.

- Warren

Thanks! (I will now be able to walk into the lobby without fearing for my life...)

3.14159 said:
This is a parody of a video circulating around the internet that involves some “funny math”:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4241480654150026320&q=funny+math&hl=en

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought had been done!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "A Different Sort of Arithmetic"?

"A Different Sort of Arithmetic" is a book written by scientist Sir Michael Atiyah. It explores the connections between mathematics and physics, and discusses the concept of a "universal number system" that could potentially unify the two disciplines.

2. Why is "A Different Sort of Arithmetic" important?

This book is important because it offers a new perspective on the relationship between mathematics and physics. It also introduces the idea of a universal number system, which could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

3. Who is Sir Michael Atiyah?

Sir Michael Atiyah was a renowned mathematician and scientist who made significant contributions to the fields of geometry and topology. He was awarded numerous honors and prizes for his work, including the Fields Medal and the Abel Prize.

4. Is "A Different Sort of Arithmetic" accessible to non-scientists?

While the book does contain complex mathematical concepts, Sir Michael Atiyah wrote it in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. He uses analogies and real-world examples to explain difficult ideas, making the book suitable for a wide audience.

5. What are some potential applications of a universal number system?

If a universal number system can be developed, it could have profound implications for both mathematics and physics. It could potentially lead to new discoveries and insights in both fields, and could also have practical applications in areas such as data encryption and computer science.