Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few Calc questions.

1. Jun 5, 2003 #1
    On Moon:
    It would take the same ammount of time to get down as it took to go up(maximum displacement, when v = 0).

Thus, V(t) = ds/dt = 832 - 5.2t = 0. t = 160s. It would take about 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

On Earth:
    Same notion. V(t) = ds/dt = 832 - 32t = 0. t = 26s.

-- Am I right?

Because V(t) = ds/dt = 3t^2 - 12t + 9,
    a(t) = dv/dt = 6t - 12

Particle has v = 0 at t = 3, and 1 sec

Thus, the particle has acelleration at v = 0 at:

a(3) = 6 m/s^2
    and
    a(1) = -6 m/s^2

-- Am I right?

Please correct my mistake. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2003 #2
    #2 looks right.

#1, a few discrepancies...

First of all, if the position functions are really as you typed them:
    s = 832 - 2.6t^2
    and
    s = 832 - 16t^2

then your derivatives are wrong because there is no t in the first term of each equation.

On the other hand, the problem, as you posted it, doesn't say that s is the MAXIMUM height, and it also isn't clear whether there are two different s's, or only one value of s...

On the other hand, there really should be a t in the first term, since the usual position function is s = v0t - .5at^2
    So should it say s = 832t - 16t^2???

On the other hand, maybe the trick is that the t is "hidden" such that 832 = v0t and both v0 and t are unknown...

On the other hand, that acceleration for the moon doesn't really make sense either; free fall acceleration near the surface of the moon is approx. 1.6 m/s^2...

Too many hands.

Bailing out...

4. Jun 6, 2003 #3
    are you a teacher prudensoptimus?

5. Jun 6, 2003 #4
    No, I'm a freshman in highschool. I'm gonna be in 10th grade in beginning of August, so I want to prepare myself for the class.

6. Jun 6, 2003 #5
    I made a typo. Yes there are t's after 832s...

I think it makes sense. It takes longer for things to drop on the moon because the acceleration comparing to the earth's gravity is smaller.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  7. Jun 6, 2003 #6
    OK, then your answer is correct.

(and I just realized that the equations for question 1 are in feet/sec, not meters/sec, so the 2.6t^2 for the moon is OK too)

8. Jun 14, 2003 #7
    You know, you can make your work really easier (no need for calculus !).
    s = 832t - 2.6t^2
    s is displacement.
    now, displacement will be equal to zero in only two cases (in projectiles) :
    1-the object didn't move yet
    2-the object went up and back down to the earth's surface.
    So all you have to do is to substitue the value of s with 0, and solve the equation :smile:.

And BTW, if i understood ur first way of solving this right, then i think there is something wrong about it. You see the velocity of the bullet will not be 0 when it reaches the surface, it will actually be equal in magnitude (and opposite in direction) of the initial velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?