A few general Qs about momentum and springs.

In summary, the equation for the time rate of change of momentum can be expressed as f = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt), where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This equation applies when the mass is not constant. For springs, some important equations include work = (1/2)k*(x(initial)^2) - (1/2)k*(x(final)^2) and work = (1/2)k*(x^2). To determine the period of a spring, one would need to use the equation pf - p0 = F(delta)t and F = m(dv/dt). Additionally, for a car with a constant force applied and sand being dropped
merper
if p is momentum then dp/dt = f right?

I've heard that dp/dt can be written as f = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt)

Can someone tell me what this actually means, because it would seem that m would be dependent on v and v dependent on m, so I am not sure how this would work out.

Also, can someone point tell me some important equations for springs other than f= -kx and e = .5kx^2

Physics news on Phys.org
"The time rate of change of the momentum of a particle is equal to the net force acting on the particle and is in the direction of that force" (quoted from Halliday, Resnick, Walker. "The Fundamentals of Physics", 6th ed. 2001)
That is what they used to explain F(net)= dp/dt
As far as, f = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt), I'm not sure.

Somemore spring equations for ya:

Work = (1/2)k*(x(initial)^2)-(1/2)k*(x(final)^2)
Work = (1/2)k*(x^2) (work by a spring force with (x initial being 0))

You can use work equations from above to solve different problems associated with energy in the system:

K(final) - K(initial) = Work (k = (1/2)m*(v^2), of course

Hope this helps.

I hope that the following will help you.

You have the equation f=dp/dt, but we know that p=mv so: f=d(mv)/dt.

When m is constant then we have the famous f=mdv/dt we were using at school for years (a=dv/dt), but what happened when m is not constant. When m is not constant the derivative d(mv)/dt is equal to: f=m(dv/dt)+(dm/dt)v which is the full type of the second law of Newton.

Last edited:
For the springs, how does one determine the period. Is there not a cosW somewhere?

alright, i can see how u get the mv equation as a result of the chain rule, but I'm still not sure exactly how it applies. Here's one of the examples my TA used to try and explain this.

A constant Force, F, is applied to a car with mass M containing within, some sand with mass m. (so mass total is M+m at the start). Concurrently, a hole opens up at the bottom of the car and it starts dropping sand at a rate of dm/dt. Find the speed of the car when all the sand is dropped.

So basically we have F = dm/dt(which we know)v + m(dv/dt)

he also pointed out that Pf - P0 = F (delta)t

and that F =m(dv/dt)

So (delta)t = m/(dm/dt)

After this part i got confused - if dv/dt is changing based on mass and v is changing based on dv/dt, how can I do this. Is this a double integral?

Hi!
We have so far that F=m(dv/dt)+v(dm/dt) now multiply the last equation with dt (I know the mathematicians will loose their hair with this but as you know this work very well in physics) and you will get:
Fdt=mdv+vdm and here is where you have the problem, divide with dm and you certainly will fell better when you see that:
F(dt/dm)=m(dv/dm)+v . We know that dm/dt is constant so we can write dm/dt=-c (the - is because the mass of the sand is reducing). So we have:
–F/c=m(dv/dm)+v and -(F/c+v)dm=mdv.
I hope this will help.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, momentum describes how difficult it is to stop an object that is moving.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = mv. The standard unit of momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s).

3. What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force and momentum are related through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.

4. How do springs affect momentum?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. When released, this energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the object attached to the spring to gain momentum. The stiffer the spring, the greater the change in momentum will be.

5. Can momentum be conserved?

Yes, momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning it can neither be created nor destroyed. In a closed system (where no external forces are acting), the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.