A force of attraction between any two objects with mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational force and its relationship to distance between objects. While the force becomes weaker with increasing distance, it never becomes zero and follows an inverse square law. This is important to understand in order to grasp the idea of gravity's effects on objects over large distances, such as in galaxies.
Tribo
I'm having trouble grasping some of the text in my textbook. In addition to proposing that objects (and the earth) fall because they are attracted by a force, Newton apparently claimed "that there is a force of attraction between any two objects with mass." Einstein went on to suggest "that the force of attraction between two objects is due to the mass causing the space around it to curve."

Well if I'm on the beach and drop a rock in the sand next to a seashell, I can see how this would work. But if the seashell is a mile down the shore and I drop the rock I don't understand how it would attract the second object towards itself or vise versa. After some distance, their forces would dissipate. Wouldn't they?

Zitzewitz, Paul W., Todd George. Elliott, David G. Haase, Kathleen A. Harper, Michael R. Herzog, Jane Bray. Nelson, Jim Nelson, Charles
A. Schuler, and Margaret K. Zorn. "Chapter 1." Physics: Principles and Problems. New York: Glencoe/McGraw-Hill, 2005. 10. Print.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tribo said:
But if the seashell is a mile down the shore and I drop the rock I don't understand how it would attract the second object towards itself or vise versa. After some distance, their forces would dissipate. Wouldn't they?
The force between two masses falls off inversely with the square of the distance. So sure, the force from that seashell a mile away won't amount to much, but it's still there.

So if I'm understanding this right it's kinda like:
rock (at 16) 4 2 4 shell (at 16)

?

Tribo said:
So if I'm understanding this right it's kinda like:
rock (at 16) 4 2 4 shell (at 16)

?
Can you rephrase that? I don't get what you mean.

The object's weight continually dissipates until it collides with the other object's dissipating weight.

Tribo said:
The object's weight continually dissipates until it collides with the other object's dissipating weight.
An object's weight usually means the gravitational force exerted on it by the earth. So that doesn't dissipate.

The gravitational force that two objects exert on each other gets smaller with increasing distance, following an inverse square law.

Doc Al said:
An object's weight usually means the gravitational force exerted on it by the earth. So that doesn't dissipate.

The gravitational force that two objects exert on each other gets smaller with increasing distance, following an inverse square law.

Right, so if I take two objects that are 16 miles apart, their force is the smallest in the middle, but it will never become zero. The number is found by squaring the distance between them.

Tribo said:
Right, so if I take two objects that are 16 miles apart, their force is the smallest in the middle, but it will never become zero.
The force only exists where mass exists. There's no mass "in the middle" and thus no force there.

Tribo said:
The number is found by squaring the distance between them.
When the two objects are 16 miles apart, there is a certain gravitational force between them. Let's call that force F. Now if you move them so they are 8 miles apart, reducing the distance by a factor of 2, the strength of the force between them quadruples to 4F. Similarly, if you move them so they are 32 miles apart, increasing the distance by a factor of 2, the strength of the force between them reduces by a factor of 4 to become F/4.

Ah, okay, I think I get it now. Thank you for your help, you've been very patient with me!

Tribo said:
Ah, okay, I think I get it now.
Excellent.

Welcome to PF, by the way!

Gravity has a significant effect over enormous distances - just think how big some galaxies are.

1. What is the force of attraction between any two objects with mass?

The force of attraction between any two objects with mass is called gravity. It is an invisible force that pulls objects towards each other.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity between two objects is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force of gravity between two objects?

The force of gravity between two objects is affected by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects, the greater the force of gravity. The farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force of gravity.

4. Does the force of gravity only exist between objects with mass?

Yes, the force of gravity only exists between objects with mass. This is because gravity is a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass.

5. How does the force of gravity impact the motion of objects?

The force of gravity causes objects to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is responsible for the motion of objects in orbit around each other, as well as the motion of objects falling towards the surface of a planet.