1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Generalized trigonometric identity for Cos(x_1++x_n)?

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    Hi Everyone,
    Do there exist any explicit formula for Cos(x_1+x_2+...+x_n) as a sum of products of Sin(x_i) & Cos(x_i)? Or we need to expand using Cos(A+B), Sin(A+B) again & again?
    If it exists then what is about Sin(x_1+x_2+...+x_n)?

[It is understood that there will be 2^(n-1) number of terms in the sum each of which will be
    a product of n number of Sin(x_i) &/ Cos(x_i)]

Regards
    Naturepaper

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identity

That link has some things that are related, but not exactly the same.

I'm not sure if a formula can be found, but you can try it. Expand it for a couple of cases, try to find a formula and use induction.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Thank you Gib Z for your reply. But the link you given doesn't answer the question. It was for infinite sum whereas I need for finite terms. Anyway I'm waiting for more reply...

Cheers
    NaturePaper

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4
  6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
    NaturePaper, the same page gives
    [tex]\sec(\theta_1 + \cdots + \theta_n) = \frac{\sec\theta_1 \cdots \sec\theta_n}{e_0 - e_2 + e_4 - \cdots}.[/tex]
    From that, it's obvious that
    [tex]\cos(\theta_1 + \cdots + \theta_n) = \frac{e_0 - e_2 + e_4 - \cdots}{\sec\theta_1 \cdots \sec\theta_n}.[/tex]

7. Feb 1, 2009 #6
    @adriank,
    oh, very nice-I missed it. Thanks.

Intuitively, Sin(x_1+x_2+...+x_n)=sinx_1.sinx_2....sinx_n(e_1-e_3+e_4-.......), where e_i are in terms of cotx_i. I'll check it.

Actually I need a formula to convert the product of K number of sinx_i and (n-k) number of cosx_i into sum of Sin and cosine terms.

If I get the expressions for Sin(x_1+x_2+...+x_n) and cos(x_1+x_2+...+x_n), after some manipulation I can get the required formula.

Thanks & Regards
    NaturePaper

8. Feb 4, 2009 #7
    Got it.

Sin(x_1+x_2+...+x_n)=cosx_1cosx_2....cosx_n(e_1-e_3+e_4-...).

By the way, I'll post a possible proof and detailed formula soon.

cheers,
    NaturePaper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook