A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club

In summary: You got the right answer. Good luck on your exam!In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a golf ball being struck by a club and landing on a fairway. The question asks for the average force of impact when the club and ball are in contact for 7.0 ms. The solution involves calculating the ball's momentum and using the formula for impulse to find the average force, which turns out to be 332.396 N.
Waylander
A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club...

Hi,
I've been going through some past exam papers for the physics paper I'm doing (I got my exam tomorrow), and I came across this question:

A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club such that the impulse imparted to the ball makes an angle of 25˚ with the horizontal. The ball lands 200 m away on a level fairway, bouncing inelastically off the fair way at an angle of 20˚ for a second 10 m hop and successively moving on until it comes to rest. Assume air resistance is negligible and ignore any effects due to spin in what follows below.

(a) If the golf club and ball are in contact for 7.0 ms, determine the average force of impact

I can't seem to work out how to get the answer, I'm thinking it's got to do with impulse and projectile motion... yet... I am totally lost. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Waylander said:
Hi,
I've been going through some past exam papers for the physics paper I'm doing (I got my exam tomorrow), and I came across this question:

A golf ball of mass 46 g is struck a blow by a club such that the impulse imparted to the ball makes an angle of 25˚ with the horizontal. The ball lands 200 m away on a level fairway, bouncing inelastically off the fair way at an angle of 20˚ for a second 10 m hop and successively moving on until it comes to rest. Assume air resistance is negligible and ignore any effects due to spin in what follows below.

(a) If the golf club and ball are in contact for 7.0 ms, determine the average force of impact

I can't seem to work out how to get the answer, I'm thinking it's got to do with impulse and projectile motion... yet... I am totally lost. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Impulse is the integral of force over the time interval that force is applied. The average force is the total impulse divided by the time interval. The impulse is equal to the change in momentum of the ball due to that force, which you can calculate from the launch angle and the initial distance to landing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick reply OlderDan! I think I know what you are saying... Is the following correct?

So is this calculation correct:
from
[itex]R=\frac{v^2sin2\theta}g[/itex]

[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{Rg}{sin2\theta}}[/itex]

so v = (200*9.8/sin50)^(1/2)
v = 50.582 m/s

[itex]J=P_f - P_i = m(v_f - v_i)[/itex]
so

J = 0.046(50.582 - 0)
J = 2.3268

[itex]F_{av} = \frac{J}{{\Delta}t}[/itex]

F = 2.3268/(7*10^-3)
F = 332.396 N

Edit: Messed up Unit conversion! XD

Last edited:
Waylander said:
Thanks for your quick reply OlderDan! I think I know what you are saying... Is the following correct?

So is this calculation correct:
from
[itex]R=\frac{v^2sin2\theta}g[/itex]

[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{Rg}{sin2\theta}}[/itex]

so v = (200*9.8/sin50)^(1/2)
v = 50.582 m/s

[itex]J=P_f - P_i = m(v_f - v_i)[/itex]
so

J = 0.046(50.582 - 0)
J = 2.3268

[itex]F_{av} = \frac{J}{{\Delta}t}[/itex]

F = 2.3268/(7*10^-3)
F = 332.396 N

Edit: Messed up Unit conversion! XD

Looks OK to me

1. How does the mass of the golf ball affect its trajectory?

The mass of a golf ball affects its trajectory by influencing its speed and acceleration. A heavier golf ball will have a higher momentum and thus travel further, while a lighter golf ball will have a lower momentum and travel a shorter distance.

2. Does the force of the club impact the golf ball's speed?

Yes, the force of the club will impact the speed of the golf ball. The harder the club strikes the ball, the greater the force and acceleration will be, resulting in a higher velocity for the golf ball.

3. What factors besides mass and force can affect the distance a golf ball travels?

Other factors that can affect the distance a golf ball travels include the angle of the club face at impact, the loft of the club, and the air resistance encountered by the ball as it travels through the air.

4. How does the surface of the golf ball impact its flight?

The surface of the golf ball, specifically its dimples, creates a thin layer of turbulent air around the ball as it travels through the air. This reduces drag and allows the ball to travel further than a smooth ball of the same mass.

5. Can the speed of the golf ball be accurately measured?

Yes, the speed of the golf ball can be accurately measured using a radar gun or a specialized golf ball launch monitor. These devices use Doppler radar technology to track the speed of the ball as it is struck by the club.