Golf Ball Impact Force: Average Calculated

In summary, a golf ball with a mass of 71.7 g is struck at an angle of 43.1 degrees with the horizontal, and lands 122 m away on a flat fairway. Using kinematics equations, we can find that the ball's horizontal velocity is 20.8924 m/s and the time it takes to travel that distance is 5.839 seconds. Neglecting air resistance, we can then find the initial acceleration and use it to calculate the average force of impact on the ball.
LOannie234
A golf ball (m = 71.7 g) is struck a blow that
makes an angle of 43.1
with the horizontal.
The drive lands 122 m away on a flat fairway.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

If the golf club and ball are in contact for
6.62 ms, what is the average force of impact?
Neglect air resistance

I've tried using t=x/vcos(theta) and plugged it into y=yo+vt-.5gt^2 and used f=mv/t

Physics news on Phys.org
you could try to use ft=p where p equals the change in momentum, and f equals the force applied to the ball. You could try to work backwards using kinematics equations to find how fast the ball will be going at the end of its trajectory, then because we neglect air resistance, the ball is traveling the same horizontal speed at both its starting and ending points (since it is a parabolic arc)

So for the horizontal velocity, would the equation be

v=(square root of)mg/2cos(theta)?

If the ball's initial velocity is at an angle of 43.1 degrees and it lands on a flat fairway, then the ball lands at 43.1 degrees as well.
I am not sure if that helps at all

Then

v=(square root)9.8m/s^2*122m/2cos(43.1)
v=20.8924m/s

If so

x=vt
t=x/v
t=5.839s

Am I following the correct path?

Yea, I would think so, so now that you have the velocity of the ball in the air, you can find the ball's initial acceleration, then plug that into f=ma to find the force that was needed

I really hope this helps

1. What is the impact force of a golf ball?

The average impact force of a golf ball is approximately 2,000 pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is the impact force of a golf ball calculated?

The impact force of a golf ball is calculated by multiplying the mass of the ball by its acceleration. This is typically done using a formula such as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. How does the impact force of a golf ball affect distance?

The impact force of a golf ball can greatly affect its distance. A higher impact force can result in a longer distance traveled by the ball, as it will have more momentum and velocity upon impact.

4. What factors can impact the average calculated impact force of a golf ball?

The average calculated impact force of a golf ball can be impacted by factors such as the speed and angle of the swing, the hardness and weight of the ball, and the surface it is hitting.

5. Is there a maximum impact force for a golf ball?

There is no set maximum impact force for a golf ball, as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, most golf courses have regulations on the type of ball that can be used to prevent excessive impact forces that could damage the course or pose a safety hazard.