Finding the Function f(x) Given Certain Conditions

• Thread starter root_two
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a differentiable function f(x) and its properties. The attempt at solving the problem involved differentiating the given equation and substituting values for x and y, but it ultimately proved unsuccessful. The conversation also touches on the mathematical validity of putting x=y to help solve the problem.
root_two
1. If f(x) be a differentiable function, such that f(x)f(y) + 2 = f(x) + f(y) + f(xy); f'(0) = 0 & f'(1) = 2, then find f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried differentiating the given stuff wrt to x and then tried to put in the values given instead of y and find a differential equations by solving which I could get the function.. That didn't work with the stuff tried. Then I went on to substitute y=x and tried to get a differential equation. But I was unable to write f'(x^2)2x in terms of dy/dx.. So, I couldn't go ahead. Also, was it mathematically correct to put in x=y to solve the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
root_two said:
1. If f(x) be a differentiable function, such that f(x)f(y) + 2 = f(x) + f(y) + f(xy); f'(0) = 0 & f'(1) = 2, then find f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried differentiating the given stuff wrt to x and then tried to put in the values given instead of y and find a differential equations by solving which I could get the function.. That didn't work with the stuff tried. Then I went on to substitute y=x and tried to get a differential equation. But I was unable to write f'(x^2)2x in terms of dy/dx.. So, I couldn't go ahead. Also, was it mathematically correct to put in x=y to solve the question?
What did you get when you differentiated?

Yes, it was mathematically correct to put in x=y to help solve this.

Well actually on differentiating I am getting this:
2f(x)f'(x) = 2f'(x) + f'(x^2)2x

Now I can put f'(x) as dy/dx but waht do I do with f'(x^2)2x??

1. What is a good problem of functions?

A good problem of functions is one that is challenging, yet solvable using mathematical techniques. It should require critical thinking and application of various concepts and methods.

2. How do you identify a good problem of functions?

A good problem of functions often involves multiple variables, different types of functions, and may require a combination of algebraic, geometric, and numerical approaches. It should also have real-world applications and relevance.

3. What makes a problem of functions difficult?

A difficult problem of functions may involve complex equations, multiple steps, and require advanced knowledge of calculus, trigonometry, and other mathematical concepts. It may also require creative thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Can a good problem of functions have multiple solutions?

Yes, a good problem of functions can have multiple solutions. Sometimes, there may be more than one way to approach and solve a problem, and different methods can lead to different solutions. It is essential to check and verify the solutions to ensure they are valid.

5. How can solving problems of functions improve mathematical skills?

Solving problems of functions can improve mathematical skills by strengthening critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also helps in understanding and applying various mathematical concepts and techniques. Practicing different types of problems can also help in developing mathematical fluency and confidence.