A graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering

In summary, if you want to do graduate studies in physics, it is possible to do so even if your bachelor's degree is not in physics. However, it may be easier to go from a physics bachelor's degree to graduate school in engineering. Your minor in Astrophysics may also be helpful in pursuing graduate studies in physics.
HTPhys145
So, next year I will attend college for B.S in aerospace engineering with a minor in Astrophysics. I would very much like to continue and do graduate studies in physics, not engineering, and I was wondering if this was possible? Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do graduate studies in physics, you should probably major in physics.

It's definitely easier to go from a physics bachelor's degree to graduate school in engineering, than from an engineering bachelor's to graduate school in physics. Most of the physics majors at the small college where I work end up in engineering, usually by getting a master's in engineering after graduating from here.

It depends a lot on your course of study and personal preparation. Your minor in Astrophysics will likely help a great deal.
My bachelor's was in Computer Science and Engineering but my master's was in Applied Physics so it can be done. Granted, it was a Master of Engineering taught by the engineering school but it lined up with my previous study and job experience. I would likely have not been accepted (and/or struggled mightily!) if I'd tried to get a master's in theoretical physics but you'd have much better preparation than I did with your minor.

1. What is the difference between a graduate degree in physics and a bachelor's degree in engineering?

A graduate degree in physics is a higher level of education focused on the study of matter, energy, and the laws and principles that govern the universe. It involves advanced coursework in areas such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. On the other hand, a bachelor's degree in engineering is more specialized and focuses on the application of physics principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can someone with a bachelor's degree in engineering pursue a graduate degree in physics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a bachelor's degree in engineering to pursue a graduate degree in physics. However, they may be required to take additional courses to build a strong foundation in physics before starting their graduate studies. Some universities also offer bridge programs for students with an engineering background to transition into a physics graduate program.

3. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree in physics and a bachelor's degree in engineering?

With a graduate degree in physics and a bachelor's degree in engineering, one can pursue a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research and development, data science, and academia. Some common job roles include data analysts, research scientists, and university professors.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering?

The duration of a graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering may vary, but on average, it takes 2-3 years to complete. This may also depend on factors such as the type of program (thesis-based or coursework-based) and the student's enrollment status (full-time or part-time).

5. What skills and knowledge can be gained from a graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering?

A graduate degree in physics with a bachelor's degree in engineering can provide students with a strong foundation in both theoretical and applied physics concepts, as well as advanced problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, students can develop skills in data analysis, research, and experimental design, which are highly valued in various industries and research settings.