Jovian Moons: Is a Small Jovian a Moon of a Larger One?

• Thread starter FtlIsAwesome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon Moons
In summary, it is possible for a small jovian to be a moon of a much larger jovian planet. This is not a common assumption, as it is believed that all moons of jovian planets are terrestrial. However, there are also possibilities for jovian binary planets, where one jovian is clearly a moon of another. This could potentially be detected through the presence of Trojan planets, captured from a common orbit, or through the orbit of a jovian around a brown dwarf.
FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
My guess is that a small jovian can be a moon of a much larger jovian. Is this likely, and how would we detect it?

Just something I've never seen before. It seems that the assumption is that all moons of jovian planets are terrestrial.

Also possible are jovian binary planets, but I'm talking about where it is clear that one jovian is a moon of another.Thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
FtlIsAwesome said:
My guess is that a small jovian can be a moon of a much larger jovian. Is this likely, and how would we detect it?

Just something I've never seen before. It seems that the assumption is that all moons of jovian planets are terrestrial.

Also possible are jovian binary planets, but I'm talking about where it is clear that one jovian is a moon of another.

Thoughts?

Trojan planet captured from a common orbit maybe? The lesser planet has to mass less than ~1/25 (IIRC) the larger planet to be in a stable Trojan orbit. Any more and their mutual attraction becomes just too much perturbation for the arrangement to be stable and they end up on "walking orbits" that ultimately interact. A super-jovian and a Neptune would work just nicely, so long as enough energy can be dissipated during their close encounter for capture.

Plus there's no reason why jovians can't orbit brown dwarfs. Some super-jovians might be runtish brown dwarfs that migrated inwards.

1. What are Jovian moons?

Jovian moons are natural satellites that orbit around the gas giant planet of Jupiter. They are named after the Roman god Jupiter, also known as Jove.

2. How many Jovian moons are there?

As of 2021, there are 79 known Jovian moons. However, new moons are still being discovered as technology advances.

3. What is the largest Jovian moon?

The largest Jovian moon is Ganymede, with a diameter of 5,268 km. It is also the largest moon in our solar system.

4. Is a small Jovian moon considered a moon of a larger one?

Yes, a small Jovian moon can be considered a moon of a larger one if it is in orbit around it. For example, the moon Amalthea is considered a moon of Jupiter, even though it is much smaller than other Jovian moons like Ganymede and Callisto.

5. Can Jovian moons support life?

It is currently unknown if any Jovian moons can support life. However, some moons, like Europa and Enceladus, have been identified as potential candidates due to the presence of liquid water beneath their icy surfaces.