Homework Question: Understanding a Lemma on Open Coverings in Regular Spaces

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
In summary, the lemma states that if every open covering of a set has a refinement that is an open covering of the set and locally finite, then every open covering of the set has a refinement that is an open covering of the set and countably locally finite. This is trivial, so the proof is simple.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

OK, just a short question about a lemma I'm going through in Munkres and a part of its proof.

I won't quote the whole lemma (it's a few statements which are equivalent), but only the part I don't get:

Let X be regular. If every open covering of X has a refinement that is an open covering of X and locally finite, then every open covering of X has a refinement that is an open covering of X and countably locally finite.

In the proof it states that this is trivial, so I'm missing something obvious apparently. But I just can't see what.

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're thinking to far here. The proof is really simple: take an covering [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] which is open and locally finite. Then the covering is also countable locally finite. Thus we have found an open cover which is countable locally finite...

micromass said:
I think you're thinking to far here. The proof is really simple: take an covering [tex]\mathcal{B}[/tex] which is open and locally finite. Then the covering is also countable locally finite. Thus we have found an open cover which is countable locally finite...

Ahhhh this is utterly trivial ! Since this cover (call it A) can be written as a union A = U A (this doesn't make sense, but I think it's clear what I'm trying to say) consisting of a single element, that cover itself, which is locally finite! :uhh: :smile:

Sorry, sometimes I get confused on a really stupid base.

Haha, looks like somebody partied a little too hard last night :biggrin:

micromass said:
Haha, looks like somebody partied a little too hard last night :biggrin:

Yes, one could say... :cool:

Btw, the proof of the implication (3) ==> (4) in the same lemma (i.e. if every open covering of X has a refinement that is a closed locally finite covering of X, then every open covering of X has a refinement that is an open locally finite covering of X) is beautiful, at least to me. At a first glance, it seems a bit complicated, but when you actually think about what's going on, it's great!

Yeah, it is quite beautiful. It reminds me a bit of measure theory: you do some complicated things for complicated reasons, and it all ends really nice :smile:

When I first learned about it, I found paracompactness quite complicated. But it has it's beauty...

What is a lemma about open coverings?

A lemma about open coverings is a mathematical statement or proposition used to prove a larger theorem related to open coverings. It is a tool used in mathematical proofs to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable pieces.

How does a lemma about open coverings relate to topology?

Open coverings are a fundamental concept in topology, which is the study of the properties of geometric objects that are preserved under continuous transformations. A lemma about open coverings helps to establish important properties of open sets in topology.

What are some examples of lemmas about open coverings?

Some examples of lemmas about open coverings include the Heine-Borel lemma, which states that every closed and bounded interval in the real numbers is compact, and the Lebesgue covering lemma, which is used to prove the Heine-Borel theorem.

Why are lemmas about open coverings important?

Lemmas about open coverings are important because they enable mathematicians to prove more complex theorems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. They are also used to establish important properties of open sets in topology, which has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

How can I use a lemma about open coverings in my own research?

If your research involves topology or related fields, you may encounter problems that involve open coverings. Using lemmas about open coverings can help you to break down these problems into smaller, more manageable pieces, making them easier to solve. Additionally, understanding and using lemmas about open coverings can help you to develop your own mathematical proofs and contribute to the advancement of your field.