A-Level General Studies: What's Involved & Is It Respected?

In summary: If you can get a C as GCSE maths you will pass the maths section of general studies with flying colours. All the maths questions are multiple choice. As for the science sections, the answers are usually given in the text, therefore it is more of a comprehension exercise.
Geographer
I'm looking for information on General Studies at A-Level or references to sites with information (can't seem to find much).

What does it involve? Does it include any (or much) maths? If so, at what level?

Is it a well-respected qualification?

Physics news on Phys.org
By any chance are you taking the exam tomorrow?

What exam? I'm a GCSE student.

(I do have an RE exam tomorrow, though.) :smile:

I did my A-Levels last year, including General Studies. At A Level it was 3 papers, one of which was science and maths. The maths involved wasn't especially difficult - GCSE standard or just above. Certainly just doing AS Level maths should have guaranteed a good pass on it. The harder part of that paper was the science bit. That seemed to me to be more than GCSE level. There wasn't a whole bunch of physics on there - but there was a good deal of Biology on the paper, that was beyond my GCSE knowledge (it was actually my strongest of the sciences at that point). Other papers included a language paper, and a source based paper. The exam overall seems biased towards those essay writing subjects, with 4 out of the 6 papers over the 2 years being essay based. I don't know how your school/college will approach it, but mine decided to give us lessons which entailed a bored teacher sat at the front handing out past papers. It seemed especially pointless as she was trying to "teach" me maths, but being a further maths student I found it very pointless. In the end I stopped turning up the lessons, and started working on my actual A Levels. I sat the papers and walked out with a B (my essay writing failed me :( ).

Geographer said:
What does it involve? Does it include any (or much) maths? If so, at what level?
Some English, some current affairs, some Maths (half a module), some Science. GCSE level Maths.
Geographer said:
Is it a well-respected qualification?
Not even a little bit. Less than 10% of universities will count it as an A-level. However, some schools make it compulsory (like mine), because they get extra money and their exam results look better.

Libertine said:
Some English, some current affairs, some Maths (half a module), some Science. GCSE level Maths.

Not even a little bit. Less than 10% of universities will count it as an A-level. However, some schools make it compulsory (like mine), because they get extra money and their exam results look better.

Yep that's exactly what mine did. Still I got an extra A Level for no extra effort

Thanks for the info, guys, it is much appreciated.

Oh well, that's that out of the window if it involves maths. :frown: Still deciding on what to take - I'm finding it hard. The only subject I'm definite about is geography. Better get these GCSEs out of the way first before worrying.

Geographer said:
Thanks for the info, guys, it is much appreciated.

Oh well, that's that out of the window if it involves maths. :frown: Still deciding on what to take - I'm finding it hard. The only subject I'm definite about is geography. Better get these GCSEs out of the way first before worrying.

If you can get a C as GCSE maths you will pass the maths section of general studies with flying colours. All the maths questions are multiple choice. As for the science sections, the answers are usually given in the text, therefore it is more of a comprehension exercise. The only material above GCSE standard is expoential growth and decay according to the AQA Spec. This said I didn't take general studies because I didn't consider it a useful A-Level. Try these links;

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/genA.html
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/genB.html

~H

Last edited by a moderator:
General Studies is some kind of bad joke, most Universities won't even consider it when making offers (e.g. ABB excluding general studies).

Just some guy said:
General Studies is some kind of bad joke, most Universities won't even consider it when making offers (e.g. ABB excluding general studies).
That is exactly what my university replies said when I got them. I'm now at the end of A2 (got very important exams coming up before I go to university), and am forced to sit the GS exams, I didn't even attend the lessons, but am still easily passing, having said that, I know a few people who are managing to fail it, and I don't think they mean to!

Thanks for the links, hoot. :) I'll see how I get on with the maths at GCSE.

Afaik, General Studies doesn't count towards your UCAS score, so why bother with it?

I told my school I didn't want to be entered for General Studies.

They entered me all the same without telling me, and as a result I have a grade X at General Studies A level! (I've also got a grade Q in Chemistry but that's a different story).

Im Writing In Capitals So U Can See Wat I am Writing. From What I Know General Studies Is A Test Of General Knowledge ...and So U Dont Even Need To Study Or Go To Any Claseses To Get A High Grade .Those Who Do Social Science Or WAtch The News Often Etc And R Good At Essay Wriyting Will Get A Good Mark. -------------------thats Wat I Know --i Hope We Are Talking About The Same Alevel General Stufdies Course ...1 Reason For Taking It Is U Dont Even Need To Study And U Can Naturally Add An Extra Grade On To Ur Grade List Or Wat Ever U Call It...check With Others Dont Take My Advice Only

brewnog said:
I told my school I didn't want to be entered for General Studies.

They entered me all the same without telling me, and as a result I have a grade X at General Studies A level! (I've also got a grade Q in Chemistry but that's a different story).

What's a grade Q?

Just some guy said:
What's a grade Q?
Quality!

:biggrin:

michealsmith said:
Im Writing In Capitals So U Can See Wat I am Writing. From What I Know General Studies Is A Test Of General Knowledge ...and So U Dont Even Need To Study Or Go To Any Claseses To Get A High Grade .Those Who Do Social Science Or WAtch The News Often Etc And R Good At Essay Wriyting Will Get A Good Mark.

What on Earth are you on about? It's not general knowledge. A pub quiz is general knowledge. General Studies at A level covers culture, science, and society. If you can't get a GCSE in maths or a science, you could watch the news 3 times a day and still fail. Being able to string a convincing argument together is a key part of the curriculum, as well as keeping up with current affairs and being able to develop and express well-considered and balanced views on a number of topics.

You might not need to specifically study for the exams, but to say you don't need to attend any classes, or study, is a gross misunderstanding, and is reflected in your dire command of the English language!

Just some guy said:
What's a grade Q?

It means they lost my paper, and are still looking for it (urm 6 years on...).

brewnog said:
It means they lost my paper, and are still looking for it (urm 6 years on...).

That's discraceful, so they lost your papper and you get no grade? Couldn't your college have written to the exam board and complained? Could they not award you your predicted grade, based on how well you achieved in your other subjects?

~H

ur experience of general studies is obviously different from mine...i think that geographer's experince might go either way ..it maybe closer to mine than urs or the converse ...i still stand by what i said as it comes from experience and is not made up,i also agree with some of what you said ..btw i do know quite a few ppl who didn't study for it ...how can you study you don't even know what's going to come up...?

1. What is A-Level General Studies?

A-Level General Studies is a subject offered in the United Kingdom as part of the General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level qualification. It is a broad-based course that covers a range of topics from various subject areas, such as science, history, literature, and current affairs.

2. What subjects are typically covered in A-Level General Studies?

The subjects covered in A-Level General Studies vary depending on the exam board, but they generally include topics such as ethics, critical thinking, politics, sociology, and environmental studies. Some exam boards also include modules on art, geography, and psychology.

3. Is A-Level General Studies a respected subject?

There is some debate over the level of respect for A-Level General Studies. Some people argue that it is a valuable subject as it encourages students to think critically and develop a broad understanding of various topics. However, others argue that it is not as respected as other A-Level subjects, as it is not a requirement for most university courses.

4. What skills can students gain from studying A-Level General Studies?

Studying A-Level General Studies can help students develop a range of transferrable skills, such as critical thinking, research, communication, and problem-solving. These skills are highly valued by universities and employers, making A-Level General Studies a worthwhile subject to study.

5. Is A-Level General Studies a difficult subject?

The difficulty level of A-Level General Studies can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Some students may find certain topics more challenging than others, but overall, the subject is designed to be accessible to students with a range of abilities. With dedication and hard work, students can achieve good grades in A-Level General Studies.