The Origins and Evolution of the Flushable Toilet

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the first flushable toilet was invented by an Englishman named Thomas Crapper. It is sometimes referred to as "The Crapper". However, there are other names associated with the toilet, such as "John" and "Jon", which come from slang terms for a customer of a professional lady of the evening. The Irish are said to have invented the toilet seat, which was later modified by the English, and Americans have made various advancements in toilet technology such as heated seats and internet-connected porta-potties.
Dx
Does anyone know who created the first flushable toliet and what they call it sometimes by name today? I thought it was funny since its been so long since I've heard it called this name.
Dx :wink:

Science news on Phys.org
I'm testing my memory instead of my Google skills...

Was it an Englishman named Thomas Crapper??

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Was it an Englishman named Thomas Crapper??
Yeah! Cool huh!
Hey brb I got to go use "The Crapper!"
I use that word now alot, its funny. Great Job!:wink:

I am told by the History Channel that Crapper was really the engineer that designed the London sewer system.

I think the toilet was invented by Dumper.

OK I'm kidding. Really: I think I have heard that it was Crane. The name is still seen today.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I am told by the History Channel that Crapper was really the engineer that designed the London sewer system.

I think the toilet was invented by Dumper.

You watch unsolved mysteries? Wow! I recall it to be crapper but you may be right Ivan. Interesting!
:wink: Anywayas brb I got to take a Dump.

Well if it was the British that invented the flushing toilet, is it not someone called John? Because i understood that another name for toilet is "John" as in i ma going to use the John.

Also did you hear that the Irish invented the toilet seat,

The English Modified it by putting a Hole in it.

Originally posted by Andy
Well if it was the British that invented the flushing toilet, is it not someone called John? Because i understood that another name for toilet is "John" as in i ma going to use the John.

Originally posted by Andy

yes I've heard that, and some bright Canadian decided to attach it to a toilet, on an outflow pipe, thereafter...Can You Imagine?!

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
yes I've heard that, and some bright Canadian decided to attach it to a toilet, on an outflow pipe, thereafter...Can You Imagine?!

Yes, but unlike the Canadians (and even the Canadians of today), the Americans use toilet paper rather than their hands.

eNtRopY

Yea well at least the English arent related to the French! And as for the americans, don't get me started.

How long until this turns into another argument and then how long until it gets locked? Any Guesses?

But it took an American to charge a $0.25 drop fee.

It took an American to figure out that we use less toilet paper if it feeds from the bottom rather than the top.

And it took an American to invent heated toilet seats.

And do I even have to mention the internet connected porta-potty?
Now top that!

Last edited:
Originally posted by eNtRopY
Yes, but unlike the Canadians (and even the Canadians of today), the Americans use toilet paper rather than their hands.

eNtRopY

For attaching a toilet seat to a toilet, WOW that must be soemthing to watch, a plumber, with his hands all wrapped up in toilet paper, securing the seat to the toilet, then, the toilet, to the pipe on the floor.

Do Americans have some kind of special disorder to have the need of the plumber covering his/her hands so??

Hey everybody! Chill out! I didn't open this thread for you to bash Americans, Canadians or anyone else for that matter.
dxtra :wink:

On a separate note, did you know that the word "hooker" comes from a leuitentant Jonathan Hooker who during the american civil war used to provide that type of entertainment for his troops? Also explains the word "jon"

Yes! I must admit I stink at history but I did know that one. I must say I din't know his first name though. Does anyone have anymore history we can learn from? Thats kwool Zantra, thanks for the lesson, dude.
Dx :wink:

Originally posted by Zantra
Also explains the word "jon"

um, explain please?

im not aware of the word "jon" having any extra meaning, beside being a person's name.

Originally posted by brum
um, explain please?

im not aware of the word "jon" having any extra meaning, beside being a person's name.

Its also means bathroom, eg; Hey! Brum I got to go to the John dude!"
:wink:

um, explain please?

John is also slang for a customer of a professional lady of the evening.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
John is also slang for a customer of a professional lady of the evening.

Yup. LT Jonathan Hooker of the Union forces I believe;)

Hey I'm a plethora of sordid useless information:wink:

oooh

i thought jon had some new meaning

(i knew that john=toilet and thought that maybe "jon" --without the h-- had a different meaning)

oooh

i thought jon had some new meaning

(i knew that john=toilet and thought that maybe "jon" --without the h-- had a different meaning)

If I think long enough I may remember where this term comes from...but I think that this John is the paying kind.

Of course we all pay one way or the other...

1. How were toilets used in ancient civilizations?

In ancient civilizations, toilets were often holes dug in the ground with a seat or bench placed on top. Waste would fall into the hole and be covered with dirt or ash. Some civilizations, like the ancient Romans, had more advanced public toilets with plumbing and a constant water flow.

2. When was the first flushable toilet invented?

The first flushable toilet was invented by Sir John Harington in 1596. It was called the "Ajax" and had a flush valve that released water from a tank into the bowl.

3. How did the flushable toilet evolve over time?

After Harington's invention, Alexander Cummings patented the S-trap in 1775, which prevented sewer gases from entering the home. Thomas Crapper improved upon Cummings' design in the late 1800s, incorporating a ballcock and pull chain to flush the toilet. In the 20th century, indoor plumbing became more common and toilets were made with more modern materials like porcelain and plastic.

4. Who is credited with the invention of the modern flushable toilet?

Although Sir John Harington is often credited with inventing the flushable toilet, the modern version is largely attributed to Thomas Crapper. His company, Thomas Crapper & Co., became one of the most successful toilet manufacturers in the late 1800s.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with flushable toilets?

While flushable toilets are convenient and sanitary, they can contribute to water pollution if not used properly. Flushing non-biodegradable items like wipes, cotton balls, and feminine hygiene products can clog pipes and harm the environment. It is important to only flush human waste and toilet paper, and to properly dispose of other items in the trash.