A little doubt regarding specific angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of changes in specific angular momentum for Mars' osculating orbits over time and how external influences can affect it. It also touches upon the relationship between velocity and orbital parameters, and how a change in velocity can impact orbit elements.
cptolemy
Good afternoon

I just have this little doubt: imagine the osculating orbit of Mars changing slowly in its elements along the centuries. The semi major axis changes, the period, etc.

Is the specific angular momentum allways equal in all the osculating orbits Mars has in those centuries? Or does it changes with the elements change? That is, if in a century the orbital semi major axis is 1.2 greater, will the specific angular momentum be the same as the previous?

Is it constant on one 2 bodies orbit even if the semi major axis increases?

Kind regards

JKepler

Astronomy news on Phys.org
cptolemy said:
Is the specific angular momentum allways equal in all the osculating orbits Mars has in those centuries?
I would think that it could change, depending upon the details of the change in orbit. Interacting bodies can exchange both linear and angular momentum.

Consider the expression relating specific angular momentum and the size of the latus-rectum:
$$p = \frac{h^2}{\mu}$$
If the orbit changes affect the latus-rectum, then h must change accordingly.

Likes cptolemy
Good evening

Yes, I agree. Thanks for the feedback. However, in 2 different orbits of the same planet, will the same amount of area done in equal times intervals? The total areas and periods are different. But is the second law applyed, and these two values proportional?

Clear skies

JKepler

If you add or subtract energy from an orbit (rotational or angular) you can expect changes. Kepler's laws for 2-body don't take into consideration the influence external influences.

So I would say no, the laws don't apply between different osculating orbits.

Take an extreme hypothetical example. An external body collides with a planet and reduces its orbital velocity to nil (ignore the unphysical technicalities). After this the area swept out per unit time would be nil.

Thanks for the reply gneill

So hipothetically, if a body with velocity V in a orbit of semi major axis A with an eccentricity of E, when it's at its perigee:

dist = A(1-E) and velocity
V= √μ/A*(1+E)/(1-E)

is reduced to a velocity V' by some momentanious force outside, what will be the new parameters of the orbit (the new A' and E')? How do I translate the velocity variation ΔV (V' - V) in those elements?

Can you help me? Thanks.

JKepler

Given the velocity and distance I'd start by finding the specific mechanical energy ξ for the new orbit, hence the new semimajor axis. Then, if you've got both the radius and velocity as vectors after the change, find the new specific angular momentum ##\vec{h} = \vec{r} \times \vec{v}##. With ##\vec{v}\;,\;\vec{r}\;,\text{ and } \vec{h}## in hand you can find the eccentricity vector.

Note that this is not dissimilar to the Hohmann Transfer situation where a spacecraft intentionally changes its velocity to put it on an intercept orbit for another orbit. The only difference is we don't have the second velocity change to circularize the orbit at the new distance.

1. What is specific angular momentum?

Specific angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion possessed by an object per unit of mass. It is defined as the cross product of the object's linear momentum and its distance from a fixed point or axis of rotation.

2. How is specific angular momentum different from angular momentum?

Specific angular momentum takes into account the mass of an object, while angular momentum does not. This means that two objects with the same amount of rotational motion can have different specific angular momenta if they have different masses.

3. What is the formula for calculating specific angular momentum?

The formula for specific angular momentum is L = mvr, where L is the specific angular momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the fixed point or axis of rotation.

4. How is specific angular momentum related to conservation of angular momentum?

Specific angular momentum is directly related to conservation of angular momentum. In a closed system, the total specific angular momentum remains constant, meaning that if one object's specific angular momentum increases, another object's must decrease by the same amount.

5. What are some real-world applications of specific angular momentum?

Specific angular momentum is used in various fields such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and mechanics. Some examples of its applications include calculating the trajectory of satellites, understanding the rotation of planets and stars, and designing spinning objects like gyroscopes and rotating machinery.