A little notation help, on quantum coding

In summary, the expression |v_1\rangle \langle v_2| represents the conjugate transpose of |v_2 \rangle.
monica1977
Hi, I wanted to know how to solve this question , its not a homework question i am really asking for , more the general way to solve these types of questions... I don't understand how it forms into another matrix. I have the answer attached as well , but could some one explain ? (I don't think the matrix A is needed , i just copied it as well )

Cheers for any help guys :)

Attachments

• qq.jpg
    qq.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 396
  • Answer.jpg
    Answer.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what [itex]\langle v_2|[/itex] represents? It is the conjugate transpose of [itex]|v_2 \rangle[/itex]. So [itex]\langle v_2|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-i,-1)[/itex].

Therefore
[tex]
|v_1 \rangle \langle v_2|=\frac{1}{2} \binom{i}{1}(-i,-1)
[/tex]

Last edited:
aint <v2 is the transpose of v2> ?

Almost, we are working with complex vectors here so it is the conjugate transpose. Do you know how to form a matrix from the the expression in my previous post?

To represent an operator as a matrix, you must choose a basis. In this case, the question presumably wants you to write it in the same basis that [tex] |v_1\rangle [/tex] and [tex] |v_2\rangle [/tex] are given in. You are given that

[tex]|v_1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( i|1\rangle + |2\rangle) [/tex]

[tex]|v_2\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (i|1\rangle -|2\rangle) [/tex]

The operator is

[tex] |v_1\rangle\langle v_2| [/tex].

The matrix elements of this operator in the basis [tex] |1\rangle, |2\rangle [/tex] are

[tex] A_{ij} = \langle i|v_1\rangle\langle v_2|j\rangle [/tex].

For example, the (1,1) element of the matrix will be

[tex] A_{11} = \langle 1|v_1\rangle\langle v_2|1\rangle = \langle 1|v_1\rangle \langle 1 | v_2 \rangle ^{*} = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}\frac{-i}{\sqrt{2}} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex].

Last edited:
Cheers Cyosis I understand that better now , but i still don't understand how what you wrote is i matrix and not a scalar ? , can u show me for a general case ? , or just show me how the answer is acheived ?

Last edited:
To calculate [itex]|v_1 \rangle \langle v_2|=\frac{1}{2} \binom{i}{1}(-i,-1)[/itex] just think of it as two matrices. You multiply the first row of v1 (i) with the first column of v2 (-i).

What you will get is this:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left( \begin{matrix} i*-i & i*-1 \\ 1*-i & 1*-1 \end{matrix}\right)= \frac{1}{2}\left( \begin{matrix} 1 & -i \\ -i & -1 \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Hi I just wanted to ask quickly , does this only apply to only complex vectors ? , what if they was all real values ? , is it still the same then ?

Last edited:
Any one ?

Yes it's the same. The only difference is that you usually take the normal transpose for real valued vectors since there is nothing to conjugate.

Cyosis said:
Yes it's the same. The only difference is that you usually take the normal transpose for real valued vectors since there is nothing to conjugate.
Or the way I like to think about it, the conjugate transpose for real vectors (or matrices) is the normal transpose, since the conjugate of a real number is just the same number.

1. What is a little notation help for quantum coding?

A little notation help for quantum coding refers to assistance with understanding and using the mathematical notation and symbols commonly used in quantum computing and quantum information theory. This can include notations for quantum gates, states, measurements, and more.

2. Why is notation important in quantum coding?

Notation is important in quantum coding because it allows for concise and precise communication of complex quantum concepts and operations. The use of standardized notation also helps to avoid confusion and allows for easier collaboration and understanding among researchers and practitioners.

3. How can I improve my understanding of quantum notation?

To improve your understanding of quantum notation, it is important to first have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. Additionally, practicing and actively using notation in problem-solving and coding exercises can help to reinforce your understanding.

4. Are there any resources available for learning quantum notation?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning quantum notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. Some popular resources include "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Michael A. Nielsen and Isaac L. Chuang, and the "Quantum Computing for the Determined" tutorial series by Scott Aaronson.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand quantum notation?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful in understanding quantum notation, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many introductory resources and tutorials are designed to be accessible to those with minimal math background. With dedication and practice, anyone can improve their understanding of quantum notation.