A little problem about quotient modules

In summary: X= B+X (direct sum). The answer is no: take A=Z/4, B=Z/2, X=Z/2 x Z/2. then A+X=B+X but A...+X = Z/4 x Z/4 while B+X = Z/2 x Z/2.In summary, the question asks whether the equality of quotient modules, if A and B are two submodules of a (right) R-module M, implies that A = B. The answer is no, as shown by the example of an infinite dimensional vector space M with two finite dimensional subspaces A and B of different finite dimensions. This also applies to the weaker form of the
steenis
Let ##M## be a (right) R-module, and ##A## and ##B## two submodules of ##M##.

If ##A = B ##, then we know that ##\frac{M}{A} = \frac{M}{B}##.

But is the converse also true:

If ##\frac{M}{A} = \frac{M}{B}##, can we conclude that ##A = B ## ?

I doubt it, but I cannot find the answer. Maybe someone can help me with a proof or a counterexample ?

(If possible, also a reference.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean ##M/A = M/B## or just ##M/A \cong M/B\,?## If it is the equality, then ##0_{M/A} = 0_{M/B}## or ##A \subseteq B## and ##B\subseteq A##. If it is the isomorphism, then we could take a direct sum of equal copies and factor out different positions.

I have no example for ##M/A \cong M/B## and ##A \ncong B\,##, yet.

Last edited:
It is the equality I am most interested in. I came across the equality in a proof. However, I am interested in both cases to be complete. Can you please expand a little, because do not quite follow you.

I thought about what ##M/A = M/B## should mean. An equality of cosets means, ##\{\,m_\iota A\,\}= \{\,m_\iota B\,\}## of a set of sets, and this can only be equal, if they are pairwise equal, which leaves only one possibility for zero. At least I couldn't think of another way to interpret equality, the others would be isomorphic copies.

The example with the direct sum is a bit cheating, as ##(0,\mathbb{Z})\neq (\mathbb{Z},0)## but they both factor to ##(\mathbb{Z}\oplus \mathbb{Z})/\mathbb{Z} = \mathbb{Z}##. But if I think about it now, it's probably an isomorphism, too.

In the general case, I think we cannot have finitely generated modules. And we will need some different structures in ##A## and ##B## which are both forgotten in the factor modules. I thought whether a tensor product will help, which would exclude flat modules. I'm uncertain here, since a module doesn't provide much structure.

I think pairwise equal in this way:##\frac{M}{A} = \frac{M}{B}## means that for each ##m' \in M## there is a ##m \in M## such that ##m' + A = m + B##.

In particular there is a ##m \in M## such that ##A = m + B##, can I conclude that ##m## must be zero ? Otherwise a (sub)module equals a not necessary (sub) module ?

steenis said:
I think pairwise equal in this way:##\frac{M}{A} = \frac{M}{B}## means that for each ##m' \in M## there is a ##m \in M## such that ##m' + A = m + B##.

In particular there is a ##m \in M## such that ##A = m + B##, can I conclude that ##m## must be zero ? Otherwise a (sub)module equals a not necessary (sub) module ?
If ##m' \in A##, then ##A=m+B## and thus ##m+0=m \in A## and thus ##B=(m'-m)+A \subseteq A## and vice versa.

This was almost my very first thought: ##A = m + B##, so ##0 = m - n##, witn ##n \in B## and so ##m = n \in B## and therefore ##A = B##. I did not write it down because I thought this cannot be correct. It helps if you say it is correct, but I remain doubtful.

We can do it elementwise. Say we have ##A=m_0+B## for a certain ##m_0## corresponding to ##0\in A##. But now we can write ##0 \in B## as ##0=m_A-m_0## for a certain ##m_A \in A## which means, that ##m_0\in A##. Now any ##b\in B## can be written ##a(b) = m_0+b\,\text{ resp. }b=a(b)-m_0\in A##.

I understand that.
I am not completely convinced, but for now I have no arguments, maybe it is just a feeling.
Thank you very much for your help.

Can you say something about this case: ##\frac{M}{A} \cong \frac{M}{B}##

This seems to be more difficult, since equality is quite strong. And as said before, the usual suspects won't work. There must be some kind of difference between ##A## and ##B## such that ##A \ncong B## but both be forgotten in ##M/A##. I think I'll try a proof instead of a counterexample.

I will think it over and look around. If I found something, I will post it here. Thanks very much for your help.

steenis said:
I will think it over and look around. If I found something, I will post it here. Thanks very much for your help.
Maybe @mathwonk (ping) will have a good example.

congratulations, this is quite an intertesting question! just off the top of my head, how about an infinite dimensional vector space M and two finite dimensional subspaces A, B of different finite dimensions. then the quotient spaces should be isomorphic infinite dimensional spaces.

i.e. in dimension terms, aleph null - 1 = aleph null - 2.

even easier, try modding out the direct product of Z/2 and Z/4 by two different non isomorphic submodules, but getting in both cases, the quotient Z/2.

@fresh_42 (ping).

indeed a weaker form of this question which is also not true is whether the fact that A+X ≈ B+X (direct sum) forces A and B to be isomorphic. google something like "stably isomorphic".

here are some notes by an excellent expositor:

http://www.math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/blurbs/linmultialg/stablyfree.pdf

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42

What are quotient modules?

Quotient modules are a mathematical concept in abstract algebra that involve dividing a larger module by a submodule to create a new module. It is similar to the concept of dividing numbers, but with mathematical structures instead.

How are quotient modules used in real life?

Quotient modules have many applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in areas such as group theory, number theory, and representation theory. They also have practical applications in computer science, such as in coding theory and cryptography.

What is the difference between a quotient module and a quotient ring?

A quotient module is a type of module, while a quotient ring is a type of ring. Both involve dividing a larger structure by a smaller one, but modules are more general and can involve different types of elements, while rings involve only multiplication and addition operations.

How do you calculate the quotient module of two modules?

To calculate the quotient module, you must first identify the submodule that you want to divide by. Then, you can use the quotient module formula, which involves finding the set of cosets (or equivalence classes) of the submodule within the larger module. The resulting quotient module will have elements that are the cosets of the submodule.

What are some important properties of quotient modules?

Some important properties of quotient modules include the fact that they are modules themselves, they have a unique structure depending on the chosen submodule, and they can be used to simplify and study more complex mathematical structures.