1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little problem

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Why is 2 = 3 over here?

Suppose 2=3

Then subtract 5/2 from both sides.
    2 - 5/2 = 3 - 5/2
    4-5/2 = 6-5/2
    -1/2 = 1/2

Take square root
    (-1/2)2 = (1/2)2
    1/4 = 1/4

What's wrong? why is it proved that 2 = 3?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You didn't prove anything. Note that when you square both sides you effectively multiply the sides by different numbers.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    Maybe it is because I am not fully awake yet, but I do not follow your arithmetic.

2 - 5/4 = 3/4 not -1/2
    3 - 5/4 = 7/4 not 1/2

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

So you mean that taking square was wrong? I thought I did everything on both sides of the equation. I mean which step is incorrect?

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

I corrected the mistake. Check again.

7. Sep 5, 2009 #6

jgens

Gold Member

When you square an equation, you run the risk of creating extraneous roots. For example, [itex]-2^2 = 2^2 = 4[/itex] but this does not prove that [itex]-2 = 2[/itex]. Also, another mistake you made is assuming what you're trying to prove. To have a correct proof you would need to begin with the equaltiy [itex]1/4 = 1/4[/itex] and proceed to show that [itex]2 = 3[/itex] (which you can't do).

Edit: Just so it's clear, the biggest fallacy in your "proof" was the assumption that [itex]2 = 3[/itex]. You can't assume what you're trying to prove.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #7

jgens

Gold Member

To absolutely clear, here's why you can't assume what you're proving . . .

Let [itex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and suppose that [itex]a = b[/itex]. Then clearly we have that [itex]0*a = 0*b = 0[/itex]. Hence, if [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are any two real numbers, then they are equal to each other (using your same logic). A correct proof would need to start at the equality [itex]0 = 0[/itex] and work from there (which is impossible).

9. Sep 5, 2009 #8

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Thanks for the answers. I didn't want to PROVE anything here. This was just shown to me by a friend and I just wanted to know what was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook