Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little problem

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Why is 2 = 3 over here?

Suppose 2=3

Then subtract 5/2 from both sides.
    2 - 5/2 = 3 - 5/2
    4-5/2 = 6-5/2
    -1/2 = 1/2

Take square root
    (-1/2)2 = (1/2)2
    1/4 = 1/4

What's wrong? why is it proved that 2 = 3?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You didn't prove anything. Note that when you square both sides you effectively multiply the sides by different numbers.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    Maybe it is because I am not fully awake yet, but I do not follow your arithmetic.

2 - 5/4 = 3/4 not -1/2
    3 - 5/4 = 7/4 not 1/2

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

So you mean that taking square was wrong? I thought I did everything on both sides of the equation. I mean which step is incorrect?

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

I corrected the mistake. Check again.

7. Sep 5, 2009 #6

jgens

Gold Member

When you square an equation, you run the risk of creating extraneous roots. For example, [itex]-2^2 = 2^2 = 4[/itex] but this does not prove that [itex]-2 = 2[/itex]. Also, another mistake you made is assuming what you're trying to prove. To have a correct proof you would need to begin with the equaltiy [itex]1/4 = 1/4[/itex] and proceed to show that [itex]2 = 3[/itex] (which you can't do).

Edit: Just so it's clear, the biggest fallacy in your "proof" was the assumption that [itex]2 = 3[/itex]. You can't assume what you're trying to prove.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #7

jgens

Gold Member

To absolutely clear, here's why you can't assume what you're proving . . .

Let [itex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and suppose that [itex]a = b[/itex]. Then clearly we have that [itex]0*a = 0*b = 0[/itex]. Hence, if [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are any two real numbers, then they are equal to each other (using your same logic). A correct proof would need to start at the equality [itex]0 = 0[/itex] and work from there (which is impossible).

9. Sep 5, 2009 #8

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

Thanks for the answers. I didn't want to PROVE anything here. This was just shown to me by a friend and I just wanted to know what was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook