Exploring the Mathematical Error: Why Does 2 Equal 3 in This Scenario?

• Thread starter PrincePhoenix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a supposed proof that 2 equals 3, where the participants discuss the steps taken to arrive at this conclusion and point out the flaws in the reasoning. The main mistake is assuming what is being proven, and the conversation highlights the importance of starting with true statements in a proof.
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
Why is 2 = 3 over here?

Suppose 2=3

Then subtract 5/2 from both sides.
2 - 5/2 = 3 - 5/2
4-5/2 = 6-5/2
-1/2 = 1/2

Take square root
(-1/2)2 = (1/2)2
1/4 = 1/4

What's wrong? why is it proved that 2 = 3?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You didn't prove anything. Note that when you square both sides you effectively multiply the sides by different numbers.

Maybe it is because I am not fully awake yet, but I do not follow your arithmetic.

2 - 5/4 = 3/4 not -1/2
3 - 5/4 = 7/4 not 1/2

Doc Al said:
You didn't prove anything. Note that when you square both sides you effectively multiply the sides by different numbers.
So you mean that taking square was wrong? I thought I did everything on both sides of the equation. I mean which step is incorrect?

pbandjay said:
Maybe it is because I am not fully awake yet, but I do not follow your arithmetic.

2 - 5/4 = 3/4 not -1/2
3 - 5/4 = 7/4 not 1/2
I corrected the mistake. Check again.

When you square an equation, you run the risk of creating extraneous roots. For example, [itex]-2^2 = 2^2 = 4[/itex] but this does not prove that [itex]-2 = 2[/itex]. Also, another mistake you made is assuming what you're trying to prove. To have a correct proof you would need to begin with the equaltiy [itex]1/4 = 1/4[/itex] and proceed to show that [itex]2 = 3[/itex] (which you can't do).

Edit: Just so it's clear, the biggest fallacy in your "proof" was the assumption that [itex]2 = 3[/itex]. You can't assume what you're trying to prove.

To absolutely clear, here's why you can't assume what you're proving . . .

Let [itex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and suppose that [itex]a = b[/itex]. Then clearly we have that [itex]0*a = 0*b = 0[/itex]. Hence, if [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are any two real numbers, then they are equal to each other (using your same logic). A correct proof would need to start at the equality [itex]0 = 0[/itex] and work from there (which is impossible).

Thanks for the answers. I didn't want to PROVE anything here. This was just shown to me by a friend and I just wanted to know what was wrong.

1. What is the "little problem" in your research?

The "little problem" in my research refers to a small issue or challenge that I am trying to solve or understand through my scientific investigation.

2. How did you identify the "little problem" in your research?

The "little problem" in my research is often identified through careful observation, data analysis, and critical thinking. It may also stem from existing theories, previous research, or personal experience.

3. Why is the "little problem" important to study?

The "little problem" is important to study because it can provide valuable insights and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge. It may also have practical applications and real-world implications.

4. What methods or techniques are you using to address the "little problem"?

I am using various methods and techniques such as experiments, surveys, interviews, data analysis, and computer simulations to address the "little problem" in my research. These methods help me gather and analyze data to better understand and potentially solve the problem.

5. What are the potential outcomes or implications of your research on the "little problem"?

The potential outcomes or implications of my research on the "little problem" may include new discoveries, insights, or solutions that can contribute to the scientific community and society as a whole. It may also lead to further research or applications in related fields.