1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little question I want to ask

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    Just to make sure, what is the difference between changing the direction of velocity and changing the direction of acceleration? Can anyone answer, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you throw a ball upwards, then at the top of the trajectory the direction of velocity changes, but the direction of the acceleration stays the same.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    So, the direction of acceleration due to gravity stays downward while the velocity's direction changes? If you don't mind me asking, can you please give me another example?

5. Dec 14, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you go from pushing the accelerator pedal to pushing the brake pedal, the direction of the car's velocity doesn't change, but the direction of the car's acceleration changes.

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5
    Okay then. What about the case of a centripetal acceleration at constant speed? Do both the direction of the velocity and acceleration change?

7. Dec 14, 2014 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes

8. Dec 14, 2014 #7
    Okay then. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook