A little question I want to ask

• Thread starter Sundown444
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Just to make sure, what is the difference between changing the direction of velocity and changing the direction of acceleration? Can anyone answer, please?

Answers and Replies

A.T.
Science Advisor
Just to make sure, what is the difference between changing the direction of velocity and changing the direction of acceleration? Can anyone answer, please?
When you throw a ball upwards, then at the top of the trajectory the direction of velocity changes, but the direction of the acceleration stays the same.

When you throw a ball upwards, then at the top of the trajectory the direction of velocity changes, but the direction of the acceleration stays the same.
So, the direction of acceleration due to gravity stays downward while the velocity's direction changes? If you don't mind me asking, can you please give me another example?

A.T.
Science Advisor
can you please give me another example?
If you go from pushing the accelerator pedal to pushing the brake pedal, the direction of the car's velocity doesn't change, but the direction of the car's acceleration changes.

If you go from pushing the accelerator pedal to pushing the brake pedal, the direction of the car's velocity doesn't change, but the direction of the car's acceleration changes.
Okay then. What about the case of a centripetal acceleration at constant speed? Do both the direction of the velocity and acceleration change?

A.T.
Science Advisor
What about the case of a centripetal acceleration at constant speed? Do both the direction of the velocity and acceleration change?
Yes

Okay then. Thanks!