A little question I want to ask

• Thread starter Sundown444
  • Start date
In summary, changing the direction of velocity refers to a change in the direction of an object's motion, while changing the direction of acceleration refers to a change in the direction of an object's rate of change in velocity. In the case of throwing a ball upwards, the direction of velocity changes at the top of the trajectory, but the direction of acceleration remains downward due to gravity. Another example is when going from pushing the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal in a car, the direction of velocity stays the same but the direction of acceleration changes. In the case of centripetal acceleration at constant speed, both the direction of velocity and acceleration change.
Sundown444
Just to make sure, what is the difference between changing the direction of velocity and changing the direction of acceleration? Can anyone answer, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sundown444 said:
Just to make sure, what is the difference between changing the direction of velocity and changing the direction of acceleration? Can anyone answer, please?
When you throw a ball upwards, then at the top of the trajectory the direction of velocity changes, but the direction of the acceleration stays the same.

A.T. said:
When you throw a ball upwards, then at the top of the trajectory the direction of velocity changes, but the direction of the acceleration stays the same.

So, the direction of acceleration due to gravity stays downward while the velocity's direction changes? If you don't mind me asking, can you please give me another example?

Sundown444 said:
can you please give me another example?
If you go from pushing the accelerator pedal to pushing the brake pedal, the direction of the car's velocity doesn't change, but the direction of the car's acceleration changes.

A.T. said:
If you go from pushing the accelerator pedal to pushing the brake pedal, the direction of the car's velocity doesn't change, but the direction of the car's acceleration changes.

Okay then. What about the case of a centripetal acceleration at constant speed? Do both the direction of the velocity and acceleration change?

Sundown444 said:
What about the case of a centripetal acceleration at constant speed? Do both the direction of the velocity and acceleration change?
Yes

Okay then. Thanks!

Related to A little question I want to ask

What is the question you want to ask?

The specific question I want to ask may vary depending on the context and my research focus. However, as a scientist, I am always asking questions and seeking answers to further our understanding of the world around us.

Why is this question important to ask?

Asking questions is essential to the scientific process as it allows us to gather information, form hypotheses, and conduct experiments to test those hypotheses. This question, in particular, may be important because it could lead to new discoveries, challenge existing beliefs, or provide insight into a particular phenomenon.

What methods do you use to answer this question?

The methods I use to answer this question will depend on the nature of the question and the type of research I am conducting. Some common methods used in scientific research include observation, experimentation, data analysis, and theoretical modeling.

Have you found an answer to this question?

As a scientist, I am constantly seeking answers to questions, and the process is ongoing. While I may find some answers, there will always be more questions to ask and explore. Science is a continuous journey of discovery and understanding.

What are the potential implications of the answer to this question?

The implications of the answer to this question could vary greatly depending on the context and the specific question being asked. It could lead to practical applications, further research, or a deeper understanding of a particular topic. It is important to consider the potential implications of any scientific question and its answer, as it can shape future research and understanding.