A measure related with Reimann integral

Good job! It seems like there are no errors in your working and no additional hypotheses are needed to show that \mu is a measure.
julypraise

Homework Statement

Let [itex]( \mathbb{R}^k , \mathcal{A} , m_{k} )[/itex] be a Lebesgue measurable space, i.e., [itex]m_{k}=m[/itex] is a Lebesgue measure. Let [itex]f: \mathbb{R^k} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a [itex]m[/itex]-integrable function. Define a function [itex]\mu : \mathcal{A} \to [0,\infty][/itex] by $$ \mu(A) := \int_{A} f(x) dx $$ with [itex]A \in \mathcal{A}[/itex]. Then is [itex]\mu[/itex] a measure?

Qeustion. Is there any error in the below working? And does it need any additional hypothesis to show $mu$ is a measure? Or is it acutally not a measure?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When [itex]A[/itex] is an empty set, the integral is obviously 0. Now suppose [itex]A_{0} , \dots , A_{n} \in \mathcal{A}[/itex] as they are disjoint. Then $$ \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} ) := \int_{\mathbb{R}^{k}} \chi_{\bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k}}(x)f(x)dx $$ and we get $$ \chi_{\bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k}} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \chi_{A_k}$$ as [itex]A_{k}[/itex] are disjoint. Therefore, we have $$ \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} ) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \mu(A_{k}). $$ Thus taking [itex]n \to \infty[/itex] we get the required result.

Physics news on Phys.org
julypraise said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]( \mathbb{R}^k , \mathcal{A} , m_{k} )[/itex] be a Lebesgue measurable space, i.e., [itex]m_{k}=m[/itex] is a Lebesgue measure. Let [itex]f: \mathbb{R^k} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a [itex]m[/itex]-integrable function. Define a function [itex]\mu : \mathcal{A} \to [0,\infty][/itex] by $$ \mu(A) := \int_{A} f(x) dx $$ with [itex]A \in \mathcal{A}[/itex]. Then is [itex]\mu[/itex] a measure?

Qeustion. Is there any error in the below working? And does it need any additional hypothesis to show $mu$ is a measure? Or is it acutally not a measure?

I'm missing somewhere that [itex]f\geq 0[/itex] a.e.

The Attempt at a Solution

When [itex]A[/itex] is an empty set, the integral is obviously 0. Now suppose [itex]A_{0} , \dots , A_{n} \in \mathcal{A}[/itex] as they are disjoint. Then $$ \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} ) := \int_{\mathbb{R}^{k}} \chi_{\bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k}}(x)f(x)dx $$ and we get $$ \chi_{\bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k}} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \chi_{A_k}$$ as [itex]A_{k}[/itex] are disjoint. Therefore, we have $$ \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} ) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \mu(A_{k}). $$ Thus taking [itex]n \to \infty[/itex] we get the required result.

You have to justify why

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} )=\mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{+\infty} A_{k} )[/tex]

Thanks for your answer, and as you have told me I should assume that [itex]f(x) \geq 0 [/itex] a.e.. And for the last part you mentioned, I think Dominated Convergence Theorem would suffice, woudn't it? I used it in my solution..

julypraise said:
Thanks for your answer, and as you have told me I should assume that [itex]f(x) \geq 0 [/itex] a.e.. And for the last part you mentioned, I think Dominated Convergence Theorem would suffice, woudn't it? I used it in my solution..

Yes, the dominated convergence would suffice here.

Related to A measure related with Reimann integral

1. What is a Reimann integral?

A Reimann integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It involves breaking down a complex shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating the areas of those shapes to approximate the total area of the original shape.

2. How is a Reimann integral related to measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of measurable sets and functions. A Reimann integral is a type of measure that can be used to determine the size of certain sets or functions.

3. What are the different types of Reimann integrals?

The two main types of Reimann integrals are the lower Reimann integral and the upper Reimann integral. These integrals use different methods to approximate the area under a curve and can result in different values.

4. How is a Reimann integral calculated?

A Reimann integral is calculated by dividing the area under a curve into smaller rectangles and finding the sum of the areas of those rectangles. As the number of rectangles increases, the approximation of the total area becomes more accurate.

5. Why is the Reimann integral important in mathematics?

The Reimann integral is important because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve, which has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It also provides a way to evaluate the behavior of functions and helps us understand the properties of different types of sets and functions.