1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A measure related with Reimann integral

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]( \mathbb{R}^k , \mathcal{A} , m_{k} )[/itex] be a Lebesgue measurable space, i.e., [itex]m_{k}=m[/itex] is a Lebesgue measure. Let [itex]f: \mathbb{R^k} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a [itex]m[/itex]-integrable function. Define a function [itex]\mu : \mathcal{A} \to [0,\infty][/itex] by $$ \mu(A) := \int_{A} f(x) dx $$ with [itex]A \in \mathcal{A}[/itex]. Then is [itex]\mu[/itex] a measure?

Qeustion. Is there any error in the below working? And does it need any additional hypothesis to show $mu$ is a measure? Or is it acutally not a measure?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When [itex]A[/itex] is an empty set, the integral is obviously 0. Now suppose [itex]A_{0} , \dots , A_{n} \in \mathcal{A}[/itex] as they are disjoint. Then $$ \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} ) := \int_{\mathbb{R}^{k}} \chi_{\bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k}}(x)f(x)dx $$ and we get $$ \chi_{\bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k}} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \chi_{A_k}$$ as [itex]A_{k}[/itex] are disjoint. Therefore, we have $$ \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} ) = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \mu(A_{k}). $$ Thus taking [itex]n \to \infty[/itex] we get the required result.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm missing somewhere that [itex]f\geq 0[/itex] a.e.

You have to justify why

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{n} A_{k} )=\mu ( \bigcup_{k=0}^{+\infty} A_{k} )[/tex]

4. Oct 8, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your answer, and as you have told me I should assume that [itex]f(x) \geq 0 [/itex] a.e.. And for the last part you mentioned, I think Dominated Convergence Theorem would suffice, woudn't it? I used it in my solution..

5. Oct 8, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, the dominated convergence would suffice here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook