A pair of interesting papers: have counterarguments been published?

In summary: What I am asking is if any papers have been published that dispute the specific claims made in the two papers I linked to. If you are not asking for general arguments for the dark matter hypothesis, then you should not include a summary of the papers that were cited.In summary, two papers argue that dark matter is not present in our galaxy or in other galaxies that we observe.
TL;DR Summary
Two interesting papers by Pavel Kroupa give arguments that dark matter is not present in galaxies based on fairly simple tests. Have any papers giving counter arguments been published?
I know there have been a number of previous threads discussing the work of Pavel Kroupa, and this work has generally been categorized as far out of mainstream because it deals with his views on alternative gravity theories and so forth. However, I have come across two of his papers that describe what seem to me to be fairly simple tests for the presence of dark matter, both of which would seem to indicate that dark matter is not present in our galaxy or in other galaxies that we observe. I am wondering if any papers giving counter arguments have been published?

The two papers are:

(1) Galaxies as simple dynamical systems: observational data disfavor dark matter and stochastic star formation.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1406.4860

The basic argument in this paper is that if galaxies we observe have dark matter halos, then smaller galaxies orbiting them should experience Chandrasekhar dynamical friction (basically, they should slow down and we should see this in their orbits). However, we do not observe this.

(2) Effect of the Solar dark matter wake on planets.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.07130

This paper argues that as our solar system moves through our galaxy's dark matter halo, the Sun should leave a dark matter "wake" that affects the orbits of the planets in a way that is not observed.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Maarten Havinga
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Basic argument for dsrk matter is to explain why galaxies do not fly apart.

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
mathman said:
Basic argument for dsrk matter is to explain why galaxies do not fly apart.
I'm not asking for general arguments for the dark matter hypothesis; I am already familiar with those. I am asking if there have been any specific counter arguments published regarding the specific claims made in the two papers I linked to. Those claims basically amount to pointing out predictions of the dark matter hypothesis that appear to conflict with observation; so a counter argument would either be to show how the dark matter hypothesis does not actually make those predictions, or showing how those predictions are not actually conflicting with observation.

If you linked to the arXiv page and not the PDF, we could easily all check to see which papers that cited these. There are 78 that cite the first and 2 on the second.

The second paper, however, says the opposite of your summary. It says "Over the nite (<= 30 year) period covered by accurate space-age observations, the DM wake of the Sun has an imperceptible effect on the motion of Solar System planets." It is critical of a 2019 paper by Hernandez that suggests that the solar DM "wake" would be visible in the motion of the planets, especially Saturn.

The 78 papers that reference the first paper often try and place it in context, but have a broader scope than "Why Paper 1 is Wrong (Or Right)."

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Vanadium 50 said:
If you linked to the arXiv page and not the PDF, we could easily all check to see which papers that cited these.
Fair point, I've edited the OP to fix the links.

FWIW, I am not sure I buy the Hernandez argument. Suppose DM was very, very cold - i.e. ends up in the sun's frame. I don't think we would see an effect at all. So there is surely some dependence on the exact DM model you assume.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Suppose DM was very, very cold - i.e. ends up in the sun's frame.
If it were very, very cold, wouldn't it be approximately at rest in the galaxy rest frame? The halo is around the galaxy not the solar system. The sun is certainly not at rest in the galaxy rest frame.

Likes vanhees71
I was thinking at rest in the sun's frame - that is, the sun drags the nearby DM to a "halt". So it surely depends on the "effective viscosity". You can't simulaneously say that DM is "non collisional" and talk about its wake post-collision (a near miss is kinematically the same as a elastic collision)

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
You can't simulaneously say that DM is "non collisional" and talk about its wake post-collision
DM is only "non collisional" with respect to non-gravitational interactions. The "wake" interaction is gravitational, and a "drag" interaction that allowed the sun to drag nearby DM to a halt would be also. As I understand it the calculations in the papers are assuming a gravitational interaction.

Likes vanhees71
Yes, but Hernandez' point is that the deviations from collisionlessness is observable. I think this depends on the details of your model. How collisionless is collisionless?

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Hernandez' point is that the deviations from collisionlessness is observable. I think this depends on the details of your model.
Yes, agreed. I have not tried to look at the Hernandez calculation in detail or parse out all of its assumptions.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the purpose of publishing counterarguments in scientific papers?

The purpose of publishing counterarguments in scientific papers is to promote critical thinking and open discussion within the scientific community. By presenting opposing viewpoints and potential flaws in research, counterarguments can help improve the overall quality and validity of scientific findings.

2. How are counterarguments typically presented in scientific papers?

Counterarguments are typically presented in the form of a separate section within a scientific paper, following the main argument or findings. This section may include a summary of the opposing viewpoint, evidence to support it, and a rebuttal from the original authors.

3. Are counterarguments always published in response to a specific paper?

No, counterarguments may also be published independently as a standalone paper. In this case, the authors may identify a gap or flaw in existing research and present their own viewpoint or findings to challenge the current understanding of a topic.

4. How can readers determine the validity of counterarguments in scientific papers?

Readers should critically evaluate the evidence and reasoning presented in counterarguments to determine their validity. This may include checking the credibility of the authors, reviewing the supporting evidence, and considering any potential biases or conflicts of interest.

5. Can counterarguments change the conclusions of a scientific paper?

Yes, counterarguments can potentially change the conclusions of a scientific paper if they present strong and convincing evidence that challenges the original findings. However, it is ultimately up to the scientific community to critically evaluate and discuss the counterarguments before any changes are made to the overall understanding of a topic.