A PC software similiar to TI-89 ?

In summary, Wolfram Alpha is a great tool for computing phasor algebra, but there may be a better solution available.
farhadd
Hi all,

I am particularly looking for a program able to compute a phasor expression, and also able to compute complex trigonometry.

in TI-89, one can easily input phasors like :

(1<3) + (1<5) =

or:

Sinh(3+4i) =

And the calculator gives the answer. is there a software for PC, that can do the same operations as easily?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are asking and it is not a PC software, but have you checked Woflram alpha?

A tool for computing Phasor algebra?

Mods sorry for the double-thread, this would be the right sub-forum I guess

I am particularly looking for a program able to compute a phasor expression, and also able to compute complex trigonometry.

in TI-89, one can easily input phasors like :

(1 <3 degree) + (10 <5 radian) =

And the calculator gives the answer. is there a software for PC, that can do the same operations as easily?

Someone already pointed me to Wolfram Alpha, which works great. but it's an online tool. Is there an offline tool for this, and also is any of the CAS systems available (other than TI's), able to input data as phase and magnitude?

farhadd said:
Mods sorry for the double-thread, this would be the right sub-forum I guess

(Two threads merged)

There may be a better solution, but Mathematica might work for you.
Define 3 new user level functions:
CircleDot[r_,a_]:=r Cos[a]+I*r Sin[a]; (* to enter a phasor *)
CirclePlus[x_,y_]:=ComplexExpand[x+y]; (* to add phasors *)
CircleTimes[x_,y_]:=ComplexExpand[x*y]; (* to multiply phasors *)

Note: From the keyboard Esc c. Esc gives you CircleDot, Esc c+ Esc CirclePlus and Esc c* Esc CircleTimes. On the screen in Mathematica those then turn into little circles with a . + or x inside to look somewhat like ordinary operators. (Here I'll cheat on the next line and just write c. c+ and c* instead)

1 c. (Pi/4) c+ 2 c. (120 Degree) c* 3 c. (45 Degree)
then gives
-3 Sqrt[3/2]-Sqrt[2]+I(3 Sqrt[3/2]-Sqrt[2])
and
N[%]
then gives
-5.08845 + 2.26002 I

Sinh[3+4I] gives Sinh[3+4I], as the TI calculator should, while
N[%]
gives
-6.54812 - 7.61923 I

Is that close enough to satisfy what you need?

Can anyone else improve this even further or think of a better product?

Last edited:

1. What is a PC software similar to TI-89?

A PC software similar to TI-89 is a computer program that emulates the functions and capabilities of the TI-89 calculator. It allows users to perform mathematical calculations, graphing, and other operations that are typically done on a TI-89.

2. How is a PC software similar to TI-89 different from other calculator software?

A PC software similar to TI-89 is different from other calculator software in that it is specifically designed to mimic the functions and interface of the TI-89 calculator. This allows users who are familiar with the TI-89 to use the software seamlessly without having to learn a new system.

3. What are some common features of a PC software similar to TI-89?

Some common features of a PC software similar to TI-89 include the ability to perform mathematical calculations, graph equations and functions, solve equations and systems of equations, perform statistical analysis, and create custom programs and functions.

4. Can a PC software similar to TI-89 be used for educational purposes?

Yes, a PC software similar to TI-89 can be used for educational purposes. It can be a useful tool for students learning mathematics and science, as it allows them to practice and visualize concepts in a familiar calculator interface.

5. Are there any limitations to using a PC software similar to TI-89?

There may be some limitations to using a PC software similar to TI-89, as it may not have all the features and capabilities of the physical calculator. Additionally, the accuracy of calculations may vary depending on the computer's processing power and other factors. It is important to check the software's specifications and limitations before use.