Physics: Plane Mass, Wing Area & Lift Force

• Thread starter ilovephysicssomuch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the pressure on the upper wing surface is 68.0 kPa and the lift force on the plane is sufficient for it to achieve level flight.
ilovephysicssomuch
An airplane has a mass of 1.60 x 10^4 kg and each wing has an area of 40.0 m^2. During level flight, the pressure on the lower wing surface is 7.00 x 10^4 Pa.
a) Determine the pressure on the upper wing surface.
b) Determine the lift force on the plane. Is it sufficient to lift the plane?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of work have you done so far?

Answer

Well.. i get 68.0kPa
but my reasoning doesn't make sense.. i got confused and lost:confused:

The force on the bottom of the wing is equal to the plane's weight plus the force due to the pressure above the wing. Plugging in the numbers, i got 66 kPa.
The second part makes no sense to me. "Is it sufficient to lift the plane?" Well its flying, isn't it? ...

1. What is the relationship between plane mass, wing area, and lift force?

The relationship between plane mass, wing area, and lift force can be described by the equation: Lift force = 1/2 * air density * wing area * velocity^2 * lift coefficient. This means that the lift force is directly proportional to the wing area and the velocity squared, and is also affected by the density of the air and the lift coefficient of the wing.

2. How does changing the wing area affect the lift force of a plane?

Increasing the wing area of a plane will increase the lift force, as the larger surface area of the wing will create more lift. This is why wings of larger planes are longer and wider than those of smaller planes.

3. What factors determine the mass of a plane?

The mass of a plane is determined by its structural components, fuel, cargo, and passengers. The materials used to construct the plane, as well as its size and design, also play a role in its overall mass.

4. How does the lift coefficient affect the lift force of a plane?

The lift coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of lift generated by a wing for a given angle of attack. A higher lift coefficient means that the wing is more efficient at creating lift, resulting in a higher lift force.

5. How is the lift force of a plane affected by air density?

The air density can affect the lift force of a plane as it impacts the amount of air molecules passing over and under the wings. Higher air density means more air molecules, resulting in more lift force. This is why planes typically have more lift force at lower altitudes where the air density is higher.