A pile driven into ground using a hammer question

• Thread starter paul9619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary: Since you are given the average resistance of the ground penetration, the pile will keep sliding into the ground until the resistance force and the force which drives the pile into the ground are in equilibrium.Since you are given the average resistance of the ground penetration, the pile will keep sliding into the ground until the resistance force and the force which drives the pile into the ground are in equilibrium.3.6600 cm.
paul9619
A pile driven into ground using a hammer question!

Hi all,

I have been attempting the following question, could you check my answers /method please :)

A pile is driven into the ground by a hammer of mass 500Kg's dropped from a height of 4 meters. The mass of the pile is 40Kg's and the average resistance of the ground penetration is 45K Newtons.

1. Calculate the velocity and Kinetic energy of the hammer prior to the impact with the pile.

I used the formula v^2=u^2+2as to give me 8.8589 m/s. For the KE I used 1/2mv^2 giving me 19620 Joules.

2. Calculate the velocity and Kinetic energy of the hammer/pile combination immediately after the impact.

By using the momentum of pile and hammer after impact = the momentum before impact. (Let v1 = Common velocity after impact)

I got (500KG + 40KG)v1 = 500KG x 8.8589m/s (velocity before)
By transposing I get v1 = 8.203m/s.

Now for kinetic energy I used 1/2mv^2 again but this time I used the total mass of pile & hammer and the comman velocity after impact to give me 18168J.

3. Calculate the distance for which the pile penetrates the ground??

I am really struggling with this question, cannot seem to find a formula to link the distance driven into the ground?? Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
paul9619 said:

I am really struggling with this question, cannot seem to find a formula to link the distance driven into the ground?? Can anyone help?

Since you are given the average resistance of the ground penetration, the pile will keep sliding into the ground until the resistance force and the force which drives the pile into the ground are in equilibrium.

radou said:
Since you are given the average resistance of the ground penetration, the pile will keep sliding into the ground until the resistance force and the force which drives the pile into the ground are in equilibrium.

and now in english :rolleyes:

paul9619 said:
and now in english :rolleyes:

Use the fact that the work of all the forces (gravity and resistance) equals the change of kinetic energy.

Sorry still unsure where the distance comes into it. I must be having one of my thick days

work = force x distance = change in energy

paul9619 said:
Sorry still unsure where the distance comes into it. I must be having one of my thick days

Something like that: (G - R)*s = change in kinetic energy. (G is the weight, R is the force of resistance, and s is the displacement.)

So, is the answer 3.6600 cm?

I sure can help you. It is a civil engineering question.

Firstly, using 500 kg hammer dropped from a whoping 4m on a measly 40kg pile will really put too much undue stress on you pile.

Secon you need to consider the efficiency of the hammer. The initial momentum does not equal the final momentum in this case.

You need to is use this equation to work out the pile displacement.

Load ,p=45kN=(0.8*500*9.81*4)/(s) and solve for s, which is the pile displacement.

0.8 is the assumed efficiency of the hammer. It may be even lower, depending on the type and the setup.

Hope it helps

paul9619 said:
Hi all,

I have been attempting the following question, could you check my answers /method please :)

A pile is driven into the ground by a hammer of mass 500Kg's dropped from a height of 4 meters. The mass of the pile is 40Kg's and the average resistance of the ground penetration is 45K Newtons.

1. Calculate the velocity and Kinetic energy of the hammer prior to the impact with the pile.

I used the formula v^2=u^2+2as to give me 8.8589 m/s. For the KE I used 1/2mv^2 giving me 19620 Joules.

2. Calculate the velocity and Kinetic energy of the hammer/pile combination immediately after the impact.

By using the momentum of pile and hammer after impact = the momentum before impact. (Let v1 = Common velocity after impact)

I got (500KG + 40KG)v1 = 500KG x 8.8589m/s (velocity before)
By transposing I get v1 = 8.203m/s.

Now for kinetic energy I used 1/2mv^2 again but this time I used the total mass of pile & hammer and the comman velocity after impact to give me 18168J.

I would use work done by friction force = change in energy.
I would take the total change in energy to be the PE of the hammer (it moves a vertical distance = 4 + d where d is penetration) plus the loss in PE of the stake (it moves d).
The work done by friction is F x d and this should give an equation which can be solved for d ( I got 0.49m)

0.49m is too much.

There a few ways to do this. Please bear with me and I will give you my answer as soon as I am free.

technician said:
I would use work done by friction force = change in energy.
I would take the total change in energy to be the PE of the hammer (it moves a vertical distance = 4 + d where d is penetration) plus the loss in PE of the stake (it moves d).
The work done by friction is F x d and this should give an equation which can be solved for d ( I got 0.49m)

Related to A pile driven into ground using a hammer question

What is a pile driven into ground using a hammer?

A pile driven into ground using a hammer is a construction technique used to create a foundation for buildings, bridges, and other structures. It involves using a large hammer to drive a long, cylindrical pole into the ground until it reaches a stable layer of soil or rock.

How is a pile driven into ground using a hammer?

To drive a pile into the ground, a large hammer is raised and then dropped onto the pile repeatedly. This impact transfers energy to the pile, causing it to penetrate into the ground. The process is repeated until the desired depth is reached.

What are the benefits of using a pile driven into ground using a hammer?

Using a pile driven into ground using a hammer has several benefits. It is a fast and efficient method of creating a foundation, making it ideal for large-scale construction projects. It also allows for precise placement of piles, minimizing the risk of errors.

What types of piles can be used with a pile driven into ground using a hammer?

There are several types of piles that can be used with this method, including steel, concrete, and timber piles. The type of pile chosen depends on factors such as the load-bearing capacity required and the soil conditions at the construction site.

What are the limitations of using a pile driven into ground using a hammer?

While this method is generally efficient and effective, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for certain soil conditions, such as hard or rocky soil, which may require different techniques. Additionally, the noise and vibration caused by the hammering process may be disruptive to nearby buildings or residential areas.