• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A Pipe filled with Helium

Homework Statement

A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 291 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency fHe will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.

Homework Equations

fHe = v/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2 L

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea what to do with this problem so I have no attempt. I was completely thrown off my the molar masses because I haven't seen a problem like this before. I'm not even sure if these are the right formulas for this problem.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 291 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency fHe will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.

Homework Equations

fHe = v/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2 L

Honestly, I have no idea what to do with this problem so I have no attempt. I was completely thrown off my the molar masses because I haven't seen a problem like this before. I'm not even sure if these are the right formulas for this problem.
The speed of sound will be different in helium from that of air.

For ideal gasses:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/sound/souspe3.html

For helium:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html#c5