A plane wave vs the bound state of Hydrogen atom: orthogonal?

In summary, the question is whether a plane wave is orthogonal to the bound state of the Hydrogen atom when t->\infty, and the professor's answer involves the scalar product between the two states, which has a time dependence of \exp i(E_p+I_p)t. However, since exp(iEt) goes to zero when t goes to infinity as long as E is different from zero, the professor stated that this is true "for all practical purposes" and can be explained using the theory of distributions or improper functions. The example of the delta function was also mentioned as a limit relation. The conclusion is that a plane wave and the Hydrogen atom ground state are not orthogonal.
xylai
These days I met one problem and asked a professor for help. But I can not understand his answer. Can you help me explain his answer?
My question is that whether we can assume that a plane wave is orthogonal to the bound state of Hydrogen atom when t->\infty?

Professor answers: <\psi(t)(t)|\psi_0(t)>|^{t \to \infty}.Then the time dependence of this scalar product is \exp i(E_p+I_p)t where E_p =p^2/2m and I_p is the ionization energy. But exp(iEt) goes to zero when t goes to infinity so long as E is different from zero. Since there is no laser field E_p + I_p is always positive.

My questions: As far as I know, when t->\infty, exp(iEt) turns around the central point in the complex plane, but never goes to zero.

Professor answers: Regarding lim_{t -> \pm \infty} \exp{iEt}, you are completely right that |\exp{iEt}|=1 for any t, but that is not the point. Because of the rapid oscillations of both the real and the imaginary part of \exp{iEt} for t -> \pm \infty while E \ne 0, the function goes to zero "for all practical purposes". The latter statement means that \int dE f(E) \exp{iEt} will go to zero for t -> \infty for any sufficiently smooth function f(E) (called a test function). This is a pico summary of what is called theory of "distributions" or "improper functions". The best known example is the delta function \delta(x), which is zero for any value of x except x=0, while \int dx \delta(x) f(x) = f(0). One of many limit relations that can be used to define the delta function is i\pi\delta(x) = \lim_{t ->\infty} \exp{ixt}/x. This implies what I wrote down above.

I cannot follow him. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I now answer the question posed in the topic title.

Let [itex]\phi(k,r)=e^{ikr \cos\theta}[/itex] be the plane-wave with wavenumber [itex]k[/itex] pointing in the z-direction,
and let [itex]\psi_{100}(r,\theta,\phi)=R_{10}(r)Y_0^0(\theta,\phi)[/itex] be the Hydrogen atom ground state.

The overlap may now be computed:

[tex]\langle\psi|\phi\rangle=\int_0^\infty dr\,r^2 R_{10}(r)\int d\Omega\, e^{ikr \cos\theta}Y^0_0(\theta,\phi)^*[/tex]
[tex]=\int_0^\infty dr\,r^2 R_{10}(r)\,\, (2\sqrt{\pi})\, j_0(k r)[/tex]
[tex]=2\sqrt{\pi}\int_0^\infty dr\,r^2 R_{10}(r)\, j_0(k r)[/tex]

Now, using [itex]R_{10}(r)=2 a_0^{-3/2} e^{-r/a_0}[/itex], I can perform the radial integral, giving

[tex]\langle\psi|\phi\rangle = \frac{8\sqrt{\pi}a_0^{3/2}}{(k^2a_0^2+1)^2}\neq0\,.[/tex]

And thus, a plane wave and the Hydrogen atom ground state are not orthogonal.

TriTertButoxy said:
I now answer the question posed in the topic title.

Let [itex]\phi(k,r)=e^{ikr \cos\theta}[/itex] be the plane-wave with wavenumber [itex]k[/itex] pointing in the z-direction,
and let [itex]\psi_{100}(r,\theta,\phi)=R_{10}(r)Y_0^0(\theta,\phi)[/itex] be the Hydrogen atom ground state.

The overlap may now be computed:

[tex]\langle\psi|\phi\rangle=\int_0^\infty dr\,r^2 R_{10}(r)\int d\Omega\, e^{ikr \cos\theta}Y^0_0(\theta,\phi)^*[/tex]
[tex]=\int_0^\infty dr\,r^2 R_{10}(r)\,\, (2\sqrt{\pi})\, j_0(k r)[/tex]
[tex]=2\sqrt{\pi}\int_0^\infty dr\,r^2 R_{10}(r)\, j_0(k r)[/tex]

Now, using [itex]R_{10}(r)=2 a_0^{-3/2} e^{-r/a_0}[/itex], I can perform the radial integral, giving

[tex]\langle\psi|\phi\rangle = \frac{8\sqrt{\pi}a_0^{3/2}}{(k^2a_0^2+1)^2}\neq0\,.[/tex]

And thus, a plane wave and the Hydrogen atom ground state are not orthogonal.

Yes, you are right. But the professor mentioned "for all practical purposes". I don't know his meaning.

1. What is a plane wave and how does it differ from the bound state of a Hydrogen atom?

A plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant amplitude and wavelength, and travels in a specific direction through space. The bound state of a Hydrogen atom, on the other hand, refers to the specific energy levels that an electron can occupy within the atom's nucleus. These energy levels are quantized and are determined by the properties of the atom's nucleus and the electron's energy state.

2. How are plane waves and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom orthogonal?

Orthogonality refers to the mathematical concept of two entities being perpendicular to each other. In the context of plane waves and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom, orthogonality means that the two are completely independent of each other and do not interact or affect each other in any way. This is because a plane wave is a free wave that travels through space, while the bound state of a Hydrogen atom is confined within the atom's nucleus.

3. Can a plane wave and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom coexist?

Yes, a plane wave and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom can coexist in the same space. However, as mentioned before, they are completely independent of each other and do not interact. This means that the plane wave will not affect the electron's energy state or the atom's nucleus, and vice versa.

4. How are plane waves and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom used in scientific research?

Plane waves and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom are both important concepts in the fields of physics and chemistry. Plane waves are used to study the behavior and properties of electromagnetic waves, while the bound state of a Hydrogen atom is used to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and atomic structure. Both are essential in many scientific experiments and studies.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the orthogonal relationship between plane waves and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom?

The orthogonal relationship between plane waves and the bound state of a Hydrogen atom is crucial in many technological applications, such as in the development of electronic devices and communication systems. It is also used in theoretical research and calculations for various scientific fields, including quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and spectroscopy.