A Plot of Magnetic Field Lines

In summary: When you plot Bx vs By, what you're really doing is plotting the slope field of the streamline function in two dimensions. After reading what you guys have said, I'm confused about why that happens.
KitchiRUs
Hi,

I was wondering - In the plots that we see of magnetic lines of force (like this one) what exactly are they plotting against what?

Meaning is it Bx vs x vs y, or is it Bx vs By vs Bz?

Physics news on Phys.org
It plots the trajectory formed by following the magnetic field. The magnetic field line of force is not a vector field. It is a tangent curve to the vector field B.

If you were a "magnetic charge", pushed around by the magnetic field, you would trace out the path of the magnetic field line.

If you think of the magnetic field as an arrow at each point, then the line of force is what you get by connecting all these arrows together into a continuous trajectory.

Okay, right. That makes sense.
I'm attempting to reproduce those plots, in 2D and in 3D, but I still don't fully understand what it means when I plot Bx vs By or Bx vs x vs y (in 3D).
Would Bx vs x vs y represent the gradient of the field in the xy plane?

[itex]B_x[/itex] means the component of B along the x direction. [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is a vector field, which means there is a vector [itex]\mathbf{B}(x,y,z)[/itex] at every point in space (ignoring the time coordinate). So there are three scalar functions of three variables, [itex]B_x(x,y,z), B_y(x,y,z), B_z(x,y,z)[/itex]. Vectors in 3D can be specified using 3 scalars.

It doesn't really make sense to plot [itex]B_x(x,y,z) vs B_y(x,y,z)[/itex] without specifying what x, y, and z are.

Gradient is something different. It is the slope of a scalar field. The gradient of [itex]B_x[/itex] is a vector field, while the gradient of [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is a rank 2 tensor because [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is already a vector field

You're not plotting B at all, you're plotting a family of parametric curves which are at every point tangential to B.

I've seen those differential equations for [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex]. Except in 3D they are three coupled ODE's no? Is there an easier way to solve for the tangent at each point rather than to solve the ODE equations?

Also, I plotted [itex]\textsl{B}_{x}[/itex] vs [itex]\textsl{B}_{y}[/itex], and it looked like the dipole field plots that we see in textbooks... After reading what you guys have said I'm confused about why that happens.

The equation for one of your streamlines will be x(t), where t increases from 0 and x(t) is the streamline curve equation. If you write the component forms, ie.

x(t) = [x(t), y(t), z(t)]
B(x) = [Bx(x,y,z), By(x,y,z), Bz(x,y,z)]

Then your streamline equation is:

dx(t)/Bx = dy(t)/By = dz(t)/Bz,

Which can be cross-multiplied to give your equations (dx/dy = Bx/By, dy/dz = By/Bz, dz/dx = Bz/Bx), then integrated to find x(t) at different "boundary" conditions values of x(0). I think that when you plotted Bx v By you were plotting the slope field of the streamline function in two dimensions, since Bx/By = dx/dy. That might explain the physical significance of what you saw.

The difficulty of solving these depends on the form of B, and in general you will need a solver algorithm.

@MikeyW - Thanks! That really cleared it up for me.

I was looking at the differential equations I had... I just didn't make the connection between them and what I was plotting.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or electric current can exert a force on other objects. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by a series of lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How are magnetic field lines plotted?

Magnetic field lines are plotted using a compass or a magnetometer. The compass or magnetometer is placed at different points around the magnet, and the direction of the needle is recorded. These points are then connected to create a series of lines that represent the magnetic field.

3. What do the patterns of magnetic field lines indicate?

The patterns of magnetic field lines indicate the direction and strength of the magnetic field. The lines are closer together where the field is stronger and farther apart where the field is weaker. They also show the direction of the field, with the lines pointing away from the north pole and towards the south pole of a magnet.

4. What is the purpose of plotting magnetic field lines?

Plotting magnetic field lines helps us understand the behavior of magnets and electric currents. It can also be used to visualize the shape and strength of the field, which is important in applications such as designing motors and generators.

5. Can magnetic field lines be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field?

Yes, magnetic field lines can be used to measure the strength of a magnetic field. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the field is. Additionally, the number of lines passing through a given area is proportional to the strength of the field at that point.