Thin film interference problem

In summary: The equation for red light destructive interference for the second case is 2nt = (l+\frac{1}{2}) \lambda_{red} where l is an integer, not necessarily equal to m. In this case, since \lambda_{red}> \lambda_{green} , the likely value for l is l=m-1.
rose427

Homework Statement

You are working with the mineral fluorite (CaF2, n=1.43) and have a sample that is coated with a layer of liquid 158 nm thick. For various wavelengths of visible light incident normal to the surface of the liquid, you observe very strong reflection for green light (λ = 510 nm), essentially zero reflection for red light (λ = 750 nm), and intermediate levels of reflection for all wavelengths between the red and green extremes. What is the index of refraction of the liquid?

Homework Equations

2nt = mλ
2nt = (m+1/2)λ

The Attempt at a Solution

The index of refraction of the liquid can either be greater or smaller than that of mineral fluorite.
First I assumed the first case was true. Because only one phase shift occurred, the constructive condition for green light and destructive condition for red light respectively are:
2nt = (m+1/2)λgreen
2nt = mλred
I derived both equations to solve for m and got
2nt/λgreen - 1/2 = 2nt/λred
And solving this gave me n = 2.52
I did the same thing with second case which gave me n = -2.52.
However my answer is incorrect. Can someone please point out what I did wrong?
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second case, you should have ## 2nt=m \lambda_{green} ## and ## 2nt=(m-\frac{1}{2}) \lambda_{red} ##. ## \\ ## (Edit: I'm not completely satisfied with this=let me study it further...)## \\ ## Additional Edit: (Upon further study) ## \\ ## Your method of solution generates a slightly incorrect answer. By setting the ## m's ## equal in the solution without actually putting in an integer number for ## m ##, the result is a slight inaccuracy. ## \\ ## By inspection of the first two equations that you have, you could conclude that ## m=1 ##. (Trying ## m=0 ## doesn't work, and ## m=2 ## starts to generate some values for ## n ## that are too high). It is important to use the integer value of ## m ##, rather than a non-integer value that results from your calculations. (Edit: I subsequently removed a couple of calculations that I did, that you need to do to solve for ## n ##, using ## m=1 ## with either or both of your first two equations. The numbers are slightly different than ## n=2.52 ##...The homework helpers are not allowed to give you the answer.) If you used the ## n=2.52 ##, the ## m ## you compute would be ## m= 1.06 ## instead of ## m=1 ##, if my arithmetic is correct. ## \\ ## Suggestion: Use your method to estimate ## n ##, but subsequently compute ## m ##, and then select the closest integer to it. Then proceed to calculate ## n ## using the integer ## m ##. If you don't get something close to an integer for ## m ##, then you know there is an inconsistency. ## \\ ## And for the second case, (under the assumption that ## n<1.43 ##), I think you also get ## n=2.52 ## using your method. In that case though, solving for ## m ## gives ## m=1.56 ## which is totally off. ## \\ ## Additional comment: This type of observation using two wavelengths for the approximate reflection maximum and minimum is not a highly precise method of computing the index of refraction, but I have to believe that using the ## n ## computed from the ## m=1 ## value is somewhat more legitimate than the value generated for ## n ## that is based on the ## m's ## being equal, but computes to ## m=1.06 ##.

Last edited:
Likes rose427
Charles Link said:
For the second case, you should have 2nt=mλgreen2nt=mλgreen 2nt=m \lambda_{green} and 2nt=(m−12)λred2nt=(m−12)λred 2nt=(m-\frac{1}{2}) \lambda_{red} . \\
Can you please explain why the destructive condition for red light is 2nt = (m-1/2)λ and not 2nt = (m+1/2)λ?

The equation for red light destructive interference for the second case is ## 2nt =(l +\frac{1}{2}) \lambda_{red} ## where ## l ## is an integer, not necessarily equal to ## m ##. In this case, since ## \lambda_{red}> \lambda_{green} ##, the likely value for ## l ## is ## l= m-1 ##, although this case was found not to work regardless, since it gives a non-integer value for ## m ##.

Likes rose427
That makes lots of sense now. Thanks a lot!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing them to interfere with each other. This interference can result in the colors we see in soap bubbles, oil slicks, and other thin films.

2. How does thin film interference work?

When light waves strike a thin film, some of the waves will be reflected off the top surface and some will be reflected off the bottom surface. These waves will then overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. The resulting interference pattern determines the color we see.

3. What factors affect thin film interference?

The thickness of the film, the angle of incidence of the light, and the refractive indices of the film and the surrounding medium all affect thin film interference. These factors determine the path length difference of the light waves and therefore the resulting interference pattern.

4. How is thin film interference used in everyday life?

Thin film interference is used in many everyday applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses, anti-glare coatings on phone and computer screens, and the colors in oil paintings and butterfly wings. It is also used in the technology of thin film solar cells and LCD displays.

5. How can I calculate thin film interference?

The calculation of thin film interference involves using the equations for path length difference and the conditions for constructive and destructive interference. It also requires knowledge of the refractive indices of the film and the surrounding medium. There are many online calculators and software programs available to assist with these calculations.