Compactness and Nested Sequences: A Proof Dilemma

• Thread starter qinglong.1397
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to prove that a subset of R^n is compact if and only if every nested sequence of relatively closed non-empty subsets has non-empty intersection. However, the author is not able to prove the converse.
qinglong.1397

Homework Statement

Prove that a subset [tex]A[/tex] of [tex]R^{n}[/tex] is compact if and only if every nested sequence [tex]\{A_n\}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] of relatively closed , non-empty subsets of [tex]A[/tex] has non-empty intersection

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove [tex]\rightarrow[/tex], but not [tex]\leftarrow[/tex]. Would you please give me a hint? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take an open cover [tex](G_i)_{i\in I}[/tex] which does not have an open subcover (so indeed, we are proving things by contradiction).
Take [tex]G_0[/tex] in this open cover such that this set is not entire A.
Take [tex]G_1[/tex] in this open cover such that [tex]\{G_0,G_1\}[/tex] does not cover A.

We end up with a sequence of sets [tex](G_n)_n[/tex].

For the rest of the proof, I'll give a hint. Take a look at the complements of the sequence [tex]G_0,G_0\cup G_1, G_0\cup G_1\cup G_2, ...[/tex]

micromass said:
Take an open cover [tex](G_i)_{i\in I}[/tex] which does not have an open subcover (so indeed, we are proving things by contradiction).
Take [tex]G_0[/tex] in this open cover such that this set is not entire A.
Take [tex]G_1[/tex] in this open cover such that [tex]\{G_0,G_1\}[/tex] does not cover A.

We end up with a sequence of sets [tex](G_n)_n[/tex].

For the rest of the proof, I'll give a hint. Take a look at the complements of the sequence [tex]G_0,G_0\cup G_1, G_0\cup G_1\cup G_2, ...[/tex]

You mean [tex](G_i)_{i\in I}[/tex] does not have a finite subcover, don't you? I am sorry that I do not agree with you. I cannot see any contradiction from your hint. Since the union of any family of finitely many elements of [tex](G_i)_{i\in I}[/tex] does not equal [tex]A[/tex], then the intersection of the collection of the complements of the sequence [tex]G_0,G_0\cup G_1, G_0\cup G_1\cup G_2, ...[/tex] is not empty, naturally.

Yes, but this was only a sketch of the proof. The point is that we can take the sequence [tex](G_n)_n[/tex] such that its union does cover A.
I agree that if you take the sequence like I said, thaen there is no contradiction. But you have to the sequence kinda special...

micromass said:
Yes, but this was only a sketch of the proof. The point is that we can take the sequence [tex](G_n)_n[/tex] such that its union does cover A.
I agree that if you take the sequence like I said, thaen there is no contradiction. But you have to the sequence kinda special...

Yeah, maybe there is such kind of sequence, but how could you prove that? I think, unless A has some special structure, it does not have the sequence we want. Remember that A is an abstract subset of [tex]R^n[/tex]. I really do not know how to construct the sequence.

Well, the construction of the sequence is the hardest part of the problem. Let [tex](G_i)_i[/tex] be our open cover. Then we know that

[tex]A\subseteq \bigcup_{i\in I}{G_i}[/tex]

For every rational number q in [tex]\bigcup_{i\in I}{G_i}[/tex], we take an element [tex]G_q[/tex] in our open cover. If we do that for every rational, then we have obtained a sequence [tex](G_q)_q[/tex] which still covers A.

In my opinion, it makes no difference. I am so stupid. Maybe you can give me more definite hint. Or, complete proof!

Take [tex](G_i)_{i\in I}[/tex] be an open cover without finite subcover. Like in my post 6, I can assume that I is countable. Thus without loss of generality, I take it that I=N.

Then [tex]G_0\cup...\cup G_n[/tex] does not cover A, although [tex]\bigcup_{n\in \mathbb{N}}{G_n}[/tex] does cover A.

With complementation, this yields a contradiction.

I see, finally. Thank you very much!

What is compactness?

Compactness is a mathematical concept that describes how close a set is to being finite. In other words, it measures the "closeness" or "tightness" of a set. A set is considered compact if it contains all of its limit points.

Why is compactness important?

Compactness is an important concept in many areas of mathematics, including topology, analysis, and geometry. It allows us to prove the existence of solutions to many problems and provides a useful tool for studying the behavior of mathematical objects.

How is compactness defined?

Compactness is defined differently depending on the context in which it is used. In general, a set is considered compact if it is both closed (contains all its limit points) and bounded (all its elements are within a certain distance from each other). In topology, compactness is defined in terms of open covers, while in analysis, it is defined in terms of sequences.

What are the advantages of using compactness in problem-solving?

Compactness is a powerful tool for problem-solving because it allows us to reduce complex problems into simpler ones. By considering only a compact subset of a larger space, we can often prove results that hold for the entire space. This saves time and effort and can lead to elegant and concise solutions.

What are some real-world applications of compactness?

Compactness has many real-world applications, including in physics, economics, and computer science. In physics, compactness is used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space. In economics, it is used to study the equilibrium of markets. In computer science, compactness is used to optimize algorithms and data structures.