A problem with integration of modified Bessel function

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral that needs to be solved, but has not been found in any table of integrals. A formal approach using modified Bessel functions is suggested, but the resulting polynomial terms are difficult to integrate. Various ideas, including using classical integration methods and known integrals, are discussed, but no solution has been found yet.
mozam
Hello,

In my work, I have to solve the following integral: \int {exp(-aX^2)I_0(b\sqrt(cX^2+dX+e))}dX
where I_0() is the modified Bessel function. I did not find the solution in any table of integral.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about a formal approach you probably won't like:

Let:

[tex]I_0(z)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{\left(1/4 z^2\right)^k}{\left(k!)\right)^2}[/tex]

then you could re-write the integral as:

[tex]\int e^{-ax^2}I_0(b\sqrt{cx^2+dx+e})dx=\int e^{-ax^2}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{\left(1/4 b^2(cx^2+dx+e\right)^k}{\left(k!\right)^2}dx[/tex]

so that ends up being polynomial terms in that sum so if it is legitimate to switch the order of integration and summation, I could re-write it as:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \int e^{-ax^2} P_k(x) dx[/tex]

Some parts of those terms can be integrated directly I assume while others I would think, have to be expressed in terms of the expintegral. Still though, would be interesting if say five or ten terms of that sum gives decent results for some range of integration but I suppose the rate of convergence would be heavily dependent on the size of a.

Last edited:
Thank you Jackmell for your reply.

I tried the way you suggested, but it is quite difficult to have a closed form expression of the integral. The expression of P(x) that I obtain is:
[tex]
P_{k}(x)=\frac{\left(b^2(cx^2+dx+e\right)^k}{4\left(k!\right)^2} = \frac{(b^{2k})}{4\left(k!\right)^2}\left(cx^2+dx+e\right)^k
[/tex]
with [tex]\left(cx^2+dx+e\right)^k = \sum_{i=0}^{k} \sum_{j=0}^{k-i}\dbinom{k}{i}\dbinom{k-i}{j}e^{k-i-j}d^{j}c^{i}x^{2i+j}[/tex].

I still don't see how to approximate this integral.

Ok, didn't think to expand it in a double sum. Now, let me suggest something I'm not sure of but figuring if it's ok is part of the fun of doing math. So we have terms of the form:

[tex]e^{-ax^2} x^n[/tex]

now:

[tex]\int e^{-ax^2}x^n dx=-1/2 x^{1+n} (ax^2)^{1/2(-1-n)} \Gamma\left(\frac{1+n}{2},ax^2\right)[/tex]

Then can we not say:

[tex]
\int e^{-ax^2}I_0(b\sqrt{cx^2+dx+e})dx
[/tex]
[tex]
=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{b^{2k}}{4(k!)^2}\sum_{i=0}^{k}\sum_{j=0}^{k-i}\binom{k}{i}\binom{k-i}{j}e^{k-i-j}d^j c^i \left\{-1/2 x^{1+n}(ax^2)^{1/2(-1-n)}\Gamma\left(\frac{1+n}{2},ax^2\right)\right\},\quad n=2i+j
[/tex]

Now, I'm not saying that's right. I'm just asking is it or is it close and I just made some minor errors? Tell you what, if it was mine, you can bet I'd be plugging that into Mathematica to see if that's "appears" to be converging to numerical results in some reasonable interval for reasonable values of the constants.

Last edited:
Sorry, one more precision:
[tex]
-\infty < x < \infty
[/tex]
So that,
[tex]
\sum_{j=0}^{k-i}(...)\int e^{-ax^2}x^{2i+j} dx = \sum_{p=0}^{k-i}(...)\{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2}x^{2(i+p)} dx + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2}x^{2(i+p)+1} dx\}
[/tex]
given that j is either odd or even,i.e., j=2p or j=2p+1.
Also,
[tex]
\int_0^\infty{x^{2(i+p)} e^{-a x^2}\,dx} = \frac{(2(i+p))!}{(i+p)! 2^{2(i+p)+1}} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a^{2(i+p)+1}}}
[/tex]
And
[tex]
\int_0^\infty{x^{2(i+p)+1} e^{-a x^2}\,dx} = \frac{(i+p)!}{2 a^{i+p+1}}
[/tex]
But the expression obtained does not help me so much because another thing is that the coefficients (except a and b) are function of another variable y. let say for instance c(y), d(y) and e(y). That's why I expect an expression of the integral so that I can later integrate with respect to y.

Thank you for any suggestion

Ok. But just for the record, that formula I gave above should read:

[tex]\int e^{-ax^2}I_0(b\sqrt{cx^2+dx+e})dx[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{b^{2k}}{4^k(k!)^2}\sum_{i= 0}^{k}\sum_{j=0}^{k-i}\binom{k}{i}\binom{k-i}{j}e^{k-i-j}d^j c^i \left\{-1/2 x^{1+n}(ax^2)^{1/2(-1-n)}\Gamma\left(\frac{1+n}{2},ax^2\right)\right\},\quad n=2i+j[/tex]

And I tested it in Mathematica using the first 15 terms cus' well I like math too:

Code:
In[218]:=
myf[a_, b_, c_, d_, e_, x_] := Exp[(-a)*x^2]*
    BesselI[0, b*Sqrt[c*x^2 + d*x + e]]; 
a = 1; 
b = 2; 
c = 3; 
d = 4; 
e = 5; 
x = 10; 
high = N[Sum[(b^(2*k)/(4^k*k!^2))*
      Sum[Binomial[k, i]*Binomial[k - i, j]*e^(k - i - j)*d^j*
        c^i*((-2^(-1))*x^(1 + 2*i + j)*(a*x^2)^
          ((1/2)*(-1 - 2*i - j))*Gamma[(1 + 2*i + j)/2, 
          a*x^2]), {i, 0, k}, {j, 0, k - i}], {k, 0, 15}]]; 
x = 1; 
low = N[Sum[(b^(2*k)/(4^k*k!^2))*
      Sum[Binomial[k, i]*Binomial[k - i, j]*e^(k - i - j)*d^j*
        c^i*((-2^(-1))*x^(1 + 2*i + j)*(a*x^2)^
          ((1/2)*(-1 - 2*i - j))*Gamma[(1 + 2*i + j)/2, 
          a*x^2]), {i, 0, k}, {j, 0, k - i}], {k, 0, 15}]]; 
N[high - low]
mynum = NIntegrate[myf[a, b, c, d, e, v], {v, 1, 10}]

Out[228]= 92.2159

Out[229]= 92.216

Which surprised me that it's so close.

Also Mozam, in your particular case, you may have to just integrate it numerically or at least do so numerically for a range then do a curve fit of the data to approximate the symbolic solution.

I see what you mean. Lot of work in perspective... :grumpy:

Another idea that I had is the use of classical integration methods and some known integrals like:

[tex]
\int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax}J_0(b\sqrt{cx^2+2dx})dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt(a^2+b^2)}exp\left[d\left(a-\sqrt(a^2+b^2)\right)\right]
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax^2}I_{\nu}(bx})dx=\frac{\pi}{2\sqrt(a)}exp\left(\frac{b^2}{8a}\right)I_{\frac{1}{2}\nu}\left(\frac{b^2}{8a}\right)
[/tex]

But how to do that?

1. What is a modified Bessel function?

A modified Bessel function, denoted as Iv(x), is a special function in mathematics that is used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It is a modified version of the Bessel function, which was discovered by the mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century.

2. What is the problem with integrating modified Bessel functions?

The problem with integrating modified Bessel functions is that they do not have a closed-form solution, meaning they cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This makes it difficult to compute definite integrals involving modified Bessel functions.

3. How is the integration of modified Bessel functions typically approached?

The integration of modified Bessel functions is typically approached using numerical methods, such as Simpson's rule or Gauss-Kronrod quadrature. These methods involve approximating the integral using a series of simpler calculations.

4. Are there any special cases where the integration of modified Bessel functions can be solved analytically?

Yes, there are a few special cases where the integration of modified Bessel functions can be solved analytically. One example is when the order of the function, v, is an integer, such as I0(x) or I1(x). In these cases, the integrals can be expressed in terms of simpler functions.

5. What are some applications of modified Bessel functions in science?

Modified Bessel functions have a wide range of applications in science, including solving differential equations in physics and engineering, modeling wave propagation, and calculating probabilities in statistics. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of mathematics and engineering.