A proof regarding Rational numbers

In summary, the question is asking if a and b can be rational if a and b are not rational numbers. The answer is no, and you have justified this by showing a counter-example.
thudda
I have found some trouble in trying to prove this question.please help mw with that.

Q1) If (a+b)/2 is a rational number can we say that a and b are also rational numbers.? Justify your answer.

I have tried the sum in the following way.

Assume (a+b)/2=p/q (As it is rational)
Lets assume a and b are also rational. Then a=m/n , b=x/y where m,n,x,y ε Z and n,y not equal to 0.

∴ p/q = (my+nx)/2ny = (a+b)/2

∴ (a+b)/2 = m/2n + x/2y
= 1/2(m/n+x/y)

for a and b to be rational they has to be equal to m/n and x/y..That is not the case always so we can't say if (a+b)/2 is rational a and b are also rational.

I doubt that this proof is wrong.Please correct that if there's any wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
We do not want to start with assume a and b are also rational as that is what we are trying to show.
The equations do note prove anything.
The question does not make it clear what a and b are, I assume they are from some common number system like real, complex, or algebraic numbers.

The most straight forward thing to do is think of an example of a and b so that (a+b)/2 is rational and a and b are not.

Likes 1 person
I thought about that too but could'nt figure out 2 examples for a and be..But just figured out we can use a=√2 and b=-√2 so that a+b=0 and (a+b)/2=0 which is rational. Any way thanks a lot.

hi thudda! :wink:
thudda said:
But just figured out we can use a=√2 and b=-√2 so that a+b=0 and (a+b)/2=0 which is rational.

yes that's fine …

the answer to the question is "no", and you've justified it by showing a counter-example! :smile:

it would seem that if a is irrational and b= (a rational number) - a , then this would be a perfect example of your equation coming out rational with a+b as the numerator. for example a = pi and b = (6-pi). add them together and you get 6 even though both numbers are irrational.

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. This means that a rational number can be written in the form of a/b, where a and b are integers.

2. How is a rational number different from an irrational number?

A rational number can be expressed as a fraction, while an irrational number cannot. Irrational numbers cannot be written as a ratio of two integers and have non-repeating, non-terminating decimal representations.

3. What is the proof regarding rational numbers?

The proof regarding rational numbers is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. This proof also shows that every rational number can be written as a unique product of prime numbers.

4. How does the proof regarding rational numbers relate to the real numbers?

The proof regarding rational numbers is an important part of understanding the real numbers, as all rational numbers are a subset of the real numbers. This proof helps us understand the properties of rational numbers, which in turn helps us understand the properties of real numbers.

5. Why is the proof regarding rational numbers important?

The proof regarding rational numbers is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their relationships. It also serves as a basis for further mathematical concepts and proofs, and has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.