A question about limit

murshid_islam
TL;DR Summary
A question about limit
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x^2 - 1}{x-1}[/tex]
For this, we first divide the numerator and denominator by [itex](x-1)[/itex] and we get
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (x+1)[/tex]
Apparently, we can divide by [itex](x-1)[/itex] because [itex]x \neq 1[/itex], but then we plug in [itex]x = 1[/itex] and get 2 as the limit. Is [itex]x = 1[/itex] or [itex]x \neq 1[/itex]? What exactly is happening here?

Answers and Replies

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
TL;DR Summary: A question about limit

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x^2 - 1}{x-1}[/tex]
For this, we first divide the numerator and denominator by [itex](x-1)[/itex] and we get
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (x+1)[/tex]
Apparently, we can divide by [itex](x-1)[/itex] because [itex]x \neq 1[/itex], but then we plug in [itex]x = 1[/itex] and get 2 as the limit. Is [itex]x = 1[/itex] or [itex]x \neq 1[/itex]? What exactly is happening here?
You have a line with a tiny gap at ##x=1##. Approaching this gap from left or right sends you to the missing value ##2##.

murshid_islam
You have a line with a tiny gap at ##x=1##. Approaching this gap from left or right sends you to the missing value ##2##.
I get that visually. But I'm questioning the algebra. At first, we divide by (x-1) because [itex]x \neq 1[/itex]. But then we plug in x = 1. I'm not being able to make sense of that.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
I get that visually. But I'm questioning the algebra. At first, we divide by (x-1) because [itex]x \neq 1[/itex]. But then we plug in x = 1. I'm not being able to make sense of that.
You do not plug in ##x=1.## You show that any open neighborhood around ##(1,2)\in \mathbb{R}^2## contains a point of the line, no matter how small this neighborhood is.

anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
##x \neq 1##. The function x+1 happens to be a continuous function f(x) of
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)=f(a)[/tex]
You made use of this feature to get 2 with a=1, but x ##\neq## 1.

In a case of discontinuous function, say
y(x)=0 for x = 1
y(x)=x otherwise
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1}\frac{y^2-1}{y-1}=\lim_{x \rightarrow 1}\ y+1=1+1=2[/tex]
But if you plug in x=1, y(1)+1=0+1=1 ##\neq##2
1666481292516.png

Last edited:
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
It's a bit subtle. You are computing a limit. But, once you have reduced the function in the limit to something continuous and unproblematic at ##x =1## then a quick way to compute the limit is just to plug in ##x =1##.

In any case, it should be obvious that
$$\lim_{x \to 1} (x +1) = 2$$PS ##\delta = \epsilon## would do the trick if you wanted to prove that from first principles.

murshid_islam
It's a bit subtle. You are computing a limit. But, once you have reduced the function in the limit to something continuous and unproblematic at ##x =1## then a quick way to compute the limit is just to plug in ##x =1##.
My question is - why can we divide the numerator and denominator by ##(x - 1)## by considering ## x \neq 1## and then in the next step consider the opposite, that is, ##x = 1##. That part is not clear to me. Could you explain a bit more?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
My question is - why can we divide the numerator and denominator by ##(x - 1)## by considering ## x \neq 1## and then in the next step consider the opposite, that is, ##x = 1##. That part is not clear to me. Could you explain a bit more?
Probably not any more clearly that I did in post #6. What, precisely, do you not understand about what I said in post #6?

murshid_islam
What, precisely, do you not understand about what I said in post #6?
Why can we consider ##x \neq 1## in one step and ##x = 1## in the next step?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Why can we consider ##x \neq 1## in one step and ##x = 1## in the next step?
That's not something I said. I asked:

What, precisely, do you not understand about what I said in post #6?
Note the word "precisely".

murshid_islam
That's not something I said. I asked:

Note the word "precisely".

Then I didn't understand this part:

You are computing a limit. But, once you have reduced the function in the limit to something continuous and unproblematic at ##x =1## then a quick way to compute the limit is just to plug in ##x =1##.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Then I didn't understand this part:
Okay. Please (by any means at your disposal) compute:
$$\lim_{x \to 1} (x +1)$$

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
##f(x):=\dfrac{(x-1)(x+1)}{(x-1)}## is not defined at ##x=1## so it is forbidden to talk about ##f(1).##
##g(x):=x+1## is defined at ##x=1## so we can build ##g(1)=2.##

We want to know whether ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 1}}f(x)## exists. What we also know is ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to x_0}}f(x)=g(x_0)## for all ##x_0\in \mathbb{R}.## Hence, for ##x_0=1##
$$
\lim_{x \to 1}f(x)=g(1)=2.
$$
We plugin ##1## into ##g##, not into ##f.##

Likes murshid_islam
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
... here comes the cavalry!

murshid_islam
Okay. Please (by any means at your disposal) compute:
$$\lim_{x \to 1} (x +1)$$
What I am having trouble understanding is why we can compute ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (x+1)## to get ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}## when ##(x+1)## and ## \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}## are different functions.

murshid_islam
We want to know whether ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 1}}f(x)## exists. What we also know is ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to x_0}}f(x)=g(x_0)## for all ##x_0\in \mathbb{R}## .
That is exactly what I am not getting. How do we know that those two are equal?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
What I am having trouble understanding is why we can compute ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (x+1)## to get ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}## when ##(x+1)## and ## \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}## are different functions.
They are the same function, except at ##x = 1##.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
We prove it. It is what makes a singularity a removable one.

It is so obvious that it is not always done, but basically we need to prove it.

Likes murshid_islam
murshid_islam
They are the same function, except at ##x = 1##.
I'm confused again. Why are they the same if there's an exception and the domains are different?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I'm confused again. Why are they the same if there's an exception and the domains are different?
If you are taking the limit as ##x \to 1##, then the relevent domain in this case is ##\mathbb R - \{1\}##. On that domain the functions are equal.

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Because we know that ##(x+1) = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}## for all values of ##x## except ##x=1##. So they are not that different.

And since ##g(x) = (x+1)## is known at ##x=1## then ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} (x+1) = g(1) = ((1)+1) = 2##. Or, in other words, the limit close to ##x=1## is equal to the value at ##x=1##. (But it is still the limit we evaluate.)

Personally, when I saw the problem, I used the l'Hôpital's rule:
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{x^2-1}{x-1} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\frac{d}{dx}(x^2-1)}{\frac{d}{dx}(x-1)}= \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{2x}{x} = 2$$

Likes murshid_islam and fresh_42
murshid_islam
We want to know whether ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to 1}}f(x)## exists. What we also know is ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x \to x_0}}f(x)=g(x_0)## for all ##x_0\in \mathbb{R}.##

We prove it. It is what makes a singularity a removable one.

It is so obvious that it is not always done, but basically we need to prove it.

How complicated is the proof? I ask because I'm wondering if it will be accessible at my level.

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
You prove that ##\lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{x^2-1}{x-1}=2,## see post #2.

You could e.g. prove that
\begin{align*}
\lim_{x \to 1^+} \dfrac{x^2-1}{x-1}&= \lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{\left(1+\dfrac{1}{n}\right)^2-1}{\left(1+\dfrac{1}{n}\right)-1}=\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+\dfrac{1}{n}\right)+1=2
\end{align*}
and the same with ##\lim_{x \to 1^+}## and ##-\dfrac{1}{n}.## Then we finally get
$$
\lim_{x \to 1^+}\dfrac{x^2-1}{x-1} = 2 = \lim_{x \to 1^-}\dfrac{x^2-1}{x-1}
$$
So expanding ##f(x)## by ##(1,2)## results in the continuous completion ##g(x).##

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How complicated is the proof? I ask because I'm wondering if it will be accessible at my level.
If you go back to the definition of limit, you can see the the limit of a function at a point does not ever make use of the value of the function at that point. Let's pull that definition in here...

Definition: ##\lim_{x \to c}f(x) = L##:

There exists a real number L such that for any ##\epsilon > 0## there is a ##\delta > 0## such that if ##0<|x−c|<δ## then ##|f(x)−L|<ϵ##

In this definition, f(c) is never important since ##0 < |x-c|##.

If f(x) defined using the formula: ##\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x-1}## and has a range that excludes 1 and if g(x) is defined using the formula ##x+1## and has a range that includes 1 then it is clear that the limits of the two functions as x approaches one will be identical because the value of either function at zero is irrelevant and the two functions are equal everywhere else.

Then, separately, we can argue that since ##g## is continuous, its limit as x approaches one is equal to its value at one, ##g(1)##

Last edited:
Likes murshid_islam, fresh_42 and PeroK
If f(x) defined using the formula: ##\frac{(x+1)(x-1)}{x-1}## and has a range that excludes 1 and if g(x) is defined using the formula ##x+1## and has a range that includes 1 then it is clear that the limits of the two functions as x approaches zero will be identical because the value of either function at zero is irrelevant and the two functions are equal everywhere else.
I'm sure you meant "as x approaches 1..."

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm sure you meant "as x approaches 1..."
Yes, I'd gone back and had to edit that post a lot to repair a bunch of that. Just one more edit...

MidgetDwarf
Your book should have a section or paragraph devoted to removal discontinuity. This will you give you an intuitive approach. Jbriggs444 gave the formal why.

Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
When [itex] x\rightarrow 1[/itex], the expression approaches [itex] \frac{0}{0}[/itex]. This is a classic example of an indeterminate value. L'Hôpitals rule deals with such indeterminates, at least when the functions are well-behaved.

Suggested for: A question about limit

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies