A question about Magnetic Fields and A Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a charged particle entering a magnetic field at a 90 degree angle. The solution is that the kinetic energy of the particle remains unchanged while the momentum changes in direction but not magnitude. This is because the force is perpendicular to the displacement, resulting in no work being done and the particle circling around in the same spot. This confirms that the kinetic energy remains unchanged.
Hevonen
[SOLVED] A question about Magnetic Fields and A Charge

A charged particle enters in 90 degrees to the magnetic field i.e. the force on the charge is F = qvB as sin (angle) = 1. The question is which are the effects on the kinetic energy and momentum of the particle?

Alternatives:

A. KE => Changed
Momentum => Changed

B. KE => Unchanged
Momentum => Changed

The solution is B but I do not why? Please, help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think...

As the force is perpendicular to the displacement no work (W=fxcos(angle)) will be done. It's kinetic energy, a scalar, remains unchanged.

However, the force does accelerate the charged particle. This acceleration is perpendicular to it's velocity. The momentum vector changes in direction, not magnitude.

Does this help?

Barny said:
As the force is perpendicular to the displacement no work (W=fxcos(angle)) will be done.

In other words, the particle will circle around and around again ie it is not actually progressing anywhere. It stays where it is and circles. Hence, can it be said that there is no work done ie. KE is unchanged?

Yes I believe so.

Thanks! I think I understood :)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or an electric current. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of certain materials, such as iron or other magnets.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created when electrically charged particles, such as electrons, move. This can happen naturally in certain materials, such as iron, or can be artificially created using electricity.

3. How does a charge interact with a magnetic field?

A charged particle, such as an electron, will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of a magnetic field and the distance from a charge?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases as the distance from a charge increases. This can be seen in the inverse square law, where the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

5. Can magnetic fields be shielded?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded using certain materials, such as iron or copper, which can redirect or absorb the magnetic field. This is often used in electronic devices to prevent interference from external magnetic fields.