A question involving connectedness and constant functions

In summary, Nyitrians are trying to figure out how to solve a math problem that involves connecting sets that have different distances between integers. The first bit of advice they got confused on was using the standard way of proving that if X is connected, then f(X) is connected. They were able to finish the problem by proving that if X is connected, then f(X) is connected and that if X is connected, then f(X) is connected.
raw
Sorry, this is my 3rd time for asking for help in a week and a half. I just have completely lost any intuition I had for math with all the time constraits I have.

Homework Statement

a.)Prove that a continuous function, f:M->R, all of whose values are integers, is constant provided that M is connected.
b.)What if all the values are irrational?

Homework Equations

M is connected if it has no separation. A separation is defined as 2 nonempty open sets A and B such that A U B=M and A [tex]\cap[/tex]B= the empty set.

Ny interpretation for f is constant is that it has only one element in it's image. f(x)=c for all x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved a.) using contradiction. I assumed M was connected and f was not constant. I let A=the set of all x in M such that f(x)=c and B=the set of all x in M such that f(x) didn't equal c. I proved that both A and be were open and came to the conclusion that there was a separation. I can't use the same logic for part b.) as proving A was open required that the distance between each integer be a discrete value.

I'm assuming the answer for b.) is no but I don't know how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
a seems fine, even though it's not the standard way of proving it.

I'll give you a hint for b. Assume that a and b are in the image of f. Take a rational number q between a and b. You'll need to show that [tex]f^{-1}(]-\infty,q[)[/tex] and [tex]f^{-1}([q,+\infty[)[/tex] is a separation.

The standard way to prove both a and b, is to actually show that if X is connected, then f(X) is connected. Thus connectedness is preserved under continuous images. This makes it easier to show a and b...

micromass said:
a seems fine, even though it's not the standard way of proving it.

I'll give you a hint for b. Assume that a and b are in the image of f. Take a rational number q between a and b. You'll need to show that [tex]f^{-1}(]-\infty,q[)[/tex] and [tex]f^{-1}([q,+\infty[)[/tex] is a separation.

The standard way to prove both a and b, is to actually show that if X is connected, then f(X) is connected. Thus connectedness is preserved under continuous images. This makes it easier to show a and b...

So I proved that f(X) is connected if X is connected. The first bit of advice confused me a little when I went to do it. Do you mean [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] of the interval from q to infinity as only a and b are in the image.

Yes, I know that [tex]f^{-1}(]-\infty,q])=f^{-1}(a)[/tex]. But the advantage is that [tex] ]-\infty,q[ [/tex] is an open set. Thus this shows that [tex]f^{-1}(a)[/tex] is an open set. Similarly, [tex]f^{-1}(b)[/tex] is an open sets. So you've found two disjoint open sets.

Oh ok, that's what I thought and I just finished it. Thank you so much.

1. What is the definition of connectedness?

Connectedness refers to the property of a topological space where it cannot be divided into two disjoint open sets.

2. How do you determine if a function is constant?

A function is considered constant if it always produces the same output regardless of the input. This means that for any value of x, the output y will remain the same.

3. Can a constant function be connected?

Yes, a constant function can still be considered connected because it is continuous and cannot be divided into two disjoint open sets.

4. How is connectedness related to continuous functions?

Connectedness is closely related to continuous functions because continuous functions preserve connectedness. This means that if a function is continuous, then its domain and range will also be connected.

5. Are there any real-life applications of connectedness and constant functions?

Yes, these concepts are used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. For example, connectedness is important in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and constant functions are used in modeling motion and other physical phenomena.