1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on window draughts, hot days and bernoulli

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    Hello there!
    It's been about a grillion degrees up here in my home town recently and last night this led me to a sort of conundrum. If I open the window in my room but leave my door shut, hardly any air comes it at all. If I open my door, there's a strong puff of wind that comes into the room and then a good steady flow continues. Just because of the components of this situation I always assumed that it had something to do with air pressure. Somehow opening the window decreased the air pressure in the room, sucking in cool air from the outside. But I realized that I can't really explain why the pressure would be less once you opened the door. Is my intuition just completely leading me astray? I've been thinking about this all night, somebody put me out of my misery!
    cuttlefish

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted