1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question regarding Fourier transform in electron microscop

Tags:
  1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    I have recorded a micrograph of a 2-D array at a magnification of 43,000x on my DE-20 digital camera, which has a 6.4 μm pixel size and a frame size of 5120 × 3840 pixels. This magnification is correct at the position of the camera. I then compute the Fourier transform of the image. What is the spacing of the finest detail (highest resolution Fourier Coefficient) that I can hope to obtain in the computed transform, with respect to the actual particle itself in the specimen plane? What is the spacing between points in the computed Fourier transform (with respect to the original object, i.e. the crystal)?

I feel confused about the Fourier transform. So any help will be welcome. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

Not sure this adresses your question, but the Fourier transform is not a function on ordinary space, it is a function on the space of (spatial) frequencies. The smallest frequency present in your image is 1/L where L is the size of your image (where "1" is some constant depending on conventions). The spacing between frequencies is also 1/L.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suggest that you look up topics about discrete Fourier transform, there you can find how to calculate the finest possible resolution for the calculate object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook