A question regarding the number of fermions with a certain velocity component

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jopi
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that the number of electrons whose velocity's x-component is between [x,x+dx] is given by
[tex] dN = \frac{4\pi V m^2 k_B T}{h^3} ln [exp(\frac{E_F -mv_x^2/2}{k_B T})+1]dv_x[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Fermi-Dirac Distribution function:
[tex] \frac{dn}{dE}=\frac{4\pi V \sqrt{2m^3}}{h^3}\frac{\sqrt{E}}{exp \left((E-E_F)/ k_B T\right) +1}[/tex]

Where E is kinetic energy,
[tex] E=\frac{1}{2} m v^2.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


First, I used the definition of kinetic energy above to rewrite the distribution as a function of velocity. I got
[tex] dn=\frac{V m^{3/2}}{h^3}\frac{1}{exp((\frac{1}{2} m v^2 -E_F)/k_B T) +1} 4 \pi v^2 dv[/tex]

Now, we know that
[tex] 4 \pi v^2 dv = dv_x dv_y dv_z.[/tex]

Now I should be able to get the number of particles with vx in the given range by integratin out dvy and dvz. In the assignment it is suggested that I write
[tex] t^2=v_y^2+v_z^2[/tex]
and then I can use the formula
[tex] \int_0^{\infty} (ae^x+1)^{-1}dx=ln(1+\frac{1}{a}).[/tex]

But I don't know how to do that. What is the differential element dvydvz written with dt?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jopi said:
But I don't know how to do that. What is the differential element dvydvz written with dt?

Think of vy and vz as cartesian coordinates, and t as the radial coordinate in the plane.

You should then be able to derive/remember the 2-D analog of the equation you have already written down:
[tex] 4 \pi v^2 dv = dv_x dv_y dv_z.[/tex]