1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A radiator in a domestic heating system operates at a surface temperat

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    A radiator in a domestic heating system operates at a surface temperature of 55 C.
    Determine the rate at which it emits radiant heat per unit area if it behaves as a black body ?

741333203.jpg

why we did not square the temperature
    I mean ( 273 + 55)^4

please I need your help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because radiation is proportional to the fourth power of the absolute temperature, not the square.

See the Stefan-Boltzmann Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    my question why in the answer we did not say ( ( 273 + 55)^4 ) not ( 273 + 55) without power 4

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4
    Maybe same reason they did not put the right order of magnitude for the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (10^(-8) in SI units).
    It may be simply some typo(s). The result seem to be OK. So they did take the fourth power to get that number.

6. Nov 14, 2013 #5
    It must to make temperature with power 4 ?

7. Nov 14, 2013 #6
    Yes.

8. Nov 14, 2013 #7
    ok and this value 5.6697 X 10^-8 for what ?

9. Nov 14, 2013 #8
    Stefan_Boltzmann constant. Did you even read about Stefan-Boltzmann law of radiation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted