A radiator in a domestic heating system operates at a surface temperat

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
manal950
Messages
177
Reaction score
0
A radiator in a domestic heating system operates at a surface temperature of 55 C.
Determine the rate at which it emits radiant heat per unit area if it behaves as a black body ?


741333203.jpg


why we did not square the temperature
I mean ( 273 + 55)^4

please I need your help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
manal950 said:
A radiator in a domestic heating system operates at a surface temperature of 55 C.
Determine the rate at which it emits radiant heat per unit area if it behaves as a black body ?


741333203.jpg


why we did not square the temperature
I mean ( 273 + 55)^4

please I need your help

Because radiation is proportional to the fourth power of the absolute temperature, not the square.

See the Stefan-Boltzmann Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law
 
my question why in the answer we did not say ( ( 273 + 55)^4 ) not ( 273 + 55) without power 4
 
Maybe same reason they did not put the right order of magnitude for the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (10^(-8) in SI units).
It may be simply some typo(s). The result seem to be OK. So they did take the fourth power to get that number.
 
Stefan_Boltzmann constant. Did you even read about Stefan-Boltzmann law of radiation?