1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A real number as a point

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    An element of the domain of a real-valued function of a real variable is often called a point. For example, an element (point) ##p## in the domain of a real-valued function ##f## of a real variable where ##f'(p)=0## or ##f'(p)## is undefined is called a critical point of the function. The particular type of critical point ##x## where ##f'(x)=0## is called a stationary point. As another example, "the graph ##y=(x+2)(x-1)^2## cross the x-axis at the points ##x=-2## and ##x=1##." In those cases, why we called a real number as a point? Is it because we view the real numbers as points in the context of the real line?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2
    On the graph I think I should say it cross ##x##-axis at the points ##(-2,0)## and ##(1,0).## I think this is more specfic, but I'm not sure whether your statement is wrong or not.
    I think your former example's reason is that the whole ##x-y## plane is the domain of the function. They are also true points, aren't they?

4. Jul 16, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Each point on a number line represents a real number.

In shuxue's example, it was clearly stated that the points were on the x-axis, so the point on the x-axis where x = -2 is also the ordered pair (-2, 0).
    No, in the first example, it says that the function is of one variable, so the domain is some subset of the real numbers, possibly including the entire real number line.
    ???
    I don't understand what this refers to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook