Why are Real Numbers Often Referred to as Points in Mathematical Functions?

• Thread starter shuxue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, real numbers are numbers that can be found on the number line, including positive and negative numbers, fractions, and decimals. They can be represented as points on the number line and are used to represent quantities in scientific research. The main difference between real numbers and imaginary numbers is that real numbers exist on the number line while imaginary numbers do not. Not all real numbers are rational numbers, as irrational numbers such as pi and square roots of non-perfect squares are included in the set of real numbers. Real numbers are essential in mathematical equations and models used in scientific research to make predictions and explain natural phenomena.
shuxue
An element of the domain of a real-valued function of a real variable is often called a point. For example, an element (point) ##p## in the domain of a real-valued function ##f## of a real variable where ##f'(p)=0## or ##f'(p)## is undefined is called a critical point of the function. The particular type of critical point ##x## where ##f'(x)=0## is called a stationary point. As another example, "the graph ##y=(x+2)(x-1)^2## cross the x-axis at the points ##x=-2## and ##x=1##." In those cases, why we called a real number as a point? Is it because we view the real numbers as points in the context of the real line?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
On the graph I think I should say it cross ##x##-axis at the points ##(-2,0)## and ##(1,0).## I think this is more specfic, but I'm not sure whether your statement is wrong or not.
I think your former example's reason is that the whole ##x-y## plane is the domain of the function. They are also true points, aren't they?

shuxue said:
An element of the domain of a real-valued function of a real variable is often called a point. For example, an element (point) ##p## in the domain of a real-valued function ##f## of a real variable where ##f'(p)=0## or ##f'(p)## is undefined is called a critical point of the function. The particular type of critical point ##x## where ##f'(x)=0## is called a stationary point. As another example, "the graph ##y=(x+2)(x-1)^2## cross the x-axis at the points ##x=-2## and ##x=1##." In those cases, why we called a real number as a point? Is it because we view the real numbers as points in the context of the real line?
Each point on a number line represents a real number.

tommyxu3 said:
On the graph I think I should say it cross ##x##-axis at the points ##(-2,0)## and ##(1,0).## I think this is more specfic, but I'm not sure whether your statement is wrong or not.
In shuxue's example, it was clearly stated that the points were on the x-axis, so the point on the x-axis where x = -2 is also the ordered pair (-2, 0).
shuxue said:
I think your former example's reason is that the whole ##x-y## plane is the domain of the function.
No, in the first example, it says that the function is of one variable, so the domain is some subset of the real numbers, possibly including the entire real number line.
shuxue said:
They are also true points, aren't they?
?
I don't understand what this refers to.

1. What is a real number?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line. This includes both positive and negative numbers, as well as fractions and decimals.

2. How is a real number represented as a point?

A real number can be represented as a point on a number line by placing a dot at its corresponding location. For example, the number 5 would be represented by a point five units to the right of the origin on the number line.

3. What is the difference between a real number and an imaginary number?

The main difference between real numbers and imaginary numbers is that real numbers exist on the number line, while imaginary numbers do not. Real numbers are used to represent quantities, while imaginary numbers are used to represent the square root of a negative number.

4. Are all real numbers also rational numbers?

No, not all real numbers are rational numbers. Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while real numbers include irrational numbers such as pi and square roots of non-perfect squares.

5. How are real numbers used in scientific research?

Real numbers are used in scientific research to represent quantities such as measurements and data. They are also used in mathematical equations and models to make predictions and explain natural phenomena.