A relation which intercepts with....

• B
  • Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a relation intercepting with its derivative and indefinite integral at the same location, assuming the constant of the indefinite integral is equal to zero. It also explores the concept of defining equations in terms of their solutions, with a focus on functions or relations that have a three-way intersection between their original form, derivative, and indefinite integral. The example of ##f(x)=(x-a)^n## with ##n>1## is given as an illustration of this concept.
Saracen Rue
I am wondering if it's possible for a relation to intercept with both it's derivative and indefinite integral at the same location (not including e^x as it shares the same rule as both it's integral and derivative). This is also assuming the constant of the indefinite integral is equal to zero.

Basically;
Define f(x) where the solution to f(x) = f'(x) is the same as the solution to f(x) = ∫f(x)dx, f(x) ≠ e^x and c = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
##f(x) = f '(x)## is basically one way (among many) to define ##e^x## (up to a constant or the requirement##f(0)=1##).
What exactly are you looking for?

fresh_42 said:
##f(x) = f '(x)## is basically one way (among many) to define ##e^x## (up to a constant or the requirement##f(0)=1##).
What exactly are you looking for?
I'll give an example;
Let f(x) = sin^4(x). In this scenario, f(x), f'(x) and ∫f(x)dx all intersect the x-axis at (0, 0). Therefore, there is a three-way intersection between f(x), f'(x) and ∫f(x)dx at said point. I'm looking for other functions or relations which also have a three-way intersection between f(x), f'(x) and ∫f(x)dx. Preferably not at the origin, but I don't mind if they are.

How about ##f(x)=(x-a)^n## with ##n > 1##?

Likes Saracen Rue
fresh_42 said:
How about ##f(x)=(x-a)^n## with ##n > 1##?
Yes, that is an excellent example of what I meant. Thank you :)

1. What is a relation that intercepts with a line?

A relation that intercepts with a line is a set of ordered pairs that satisfy a given linear equation. This means that the x and y values in the ordered pairs make the equation true when substituted.

2. How can I determine if a relation intercepts with a given line?

To determine if a relation intercepts with a given line, you can graph the equation and the relation on the same coordinate plane. If the graph of the relation intersects with the line at one or more points, then it intercepts with the line.

3. Can a relation intercept with more than one line?

Yes, a relation can intercept with more than one line. This can happen if the relation is a function with multiple linear equations, or if the relation is a set of ordered pairs that satisfy multiple linear equations.

4. What is the difference between an intercepting relation and a parallel relation?

An intercepting relation is a set of ordered pairs that satisfy a linear equation and intersects with a given line. A parallel relation, on the other hand, is a set of ordered pairs that satisfy a linear equation and never intersects with a given line, but instead runs alongside it.

5. Can a relation intercept with a line that is not a straight line?

No, a relation can only intercept with a straight line. This is because a linear equation represents a straight line, and for a relation to intercept with a line, it must satisfy the linear equation at one or more points on that line.