1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    This is definition of resistor from Wikipedia.

1. " A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that opposes an electric current by producing a voltage drop between its terminals in proportion to the current"

And this is another mention about Ohm's Law from a diagram of Wikipedia.

2. "A voltage source, V, drives an electric current, I , through resistor, R, the three quantities obeying Ohm's law: V = IR."

After reading these two statements, I got confused. From 1, I can assume that a resistor produces a voltage V to oppose an electric current. But, when I read 2, Voltage send current through resistor not produced by resistor. Could you please explain me about that. I just started learning Electricity. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2
    Re: Resistor

The statements just tells you that since R is fixed, the voltage has to drop in proportion to the current passing through it.

You're basically driving a current with a certain voltage. Once you pass that current through resistor element R, it's going to oppose the current (the IR part), but because I is directly proportional to V (Ohm's Law V = IR), if you cause a drop in current using resistor R, then the voltage has to drop. Therefore, that is why you have a voltage drop after you pass through R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?