A screen for detecting electrons

In summary: E-7^2y=2.855 E6*5.47 E-7-1.62 E -13y=1.559 E-15 mIn summary, an electron is shot at an initial speed of v0 = 4.14 × 106 m/s, at an angle of θ0 = 43.6 ˚ from an x axis. It moves through a uniform electric field = (5.34 N/C). A screen for detecting electrons is positioned parallel to the y axis, at distance x = 1.64 m. The y component of the electron's velocity (sign included) when the electron hits the screen is 2.855 E
C6ZR1

Homework Statement

In Fig. 22-56 an electron is shot at an initial speed of v0 = 4.14 × 106 m/s, at angle θ0 = 43.6 ˚ from an x axis. It moves through a uniform electric field = (5.34 N/C). A screen for detecting electrons is positioned parallel to the y axis, at distance x = 1.64 m. What is the y component of the electron's velocity (sign included) when the electron hits the screen?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c22/q50.jpg

Given:
θ=43.6˚
Vi=4.14 E 6 m/s
E=5.34 N/C
x=1.64 m

Homework Equations

E=(KQ)r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first decided to do was try breaking V into x and y components..
x direction: 4.14 E6 (cos 43.6) ≈2.998 E 6
y direction: 4.14 E6 (sin 43.6) ≈ 2.855 E 6

After I did that I started to get confused on what other step I should take. Would I add the vector E to Y component then use basic trig to find the height at that x distance?

Help, please and thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
C6ZR1 said:

Homework Statement

In Fig. 22-56 an electron is shot at an initial speed of v0 = 4.14 × 106 m/s, at angle θ0 = 43.6 ˚ from an x axis. It moves through a uniform electric field = (5.34 N/C). A screen for detecting electrons is positioned parallel to the y axis, at distance x = 1.64 m. What is the y component of the electron's velocity (sign included) when the electron hits the screen?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c22/q50.jpg

Given:
θ=43.6˚
Vi=4.14 E 6 m/s
E=5.34 N/C
x=1.64 m

Homework Equations

E=(KQ)r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first decided to do was try breaking V into x and y components..
x direction: 4.14 E6 (cos 43.6) ≈2.998 E 6
y direction: 4.14 E6 (sin 43.6) ≈ 2.855 E 6

After I did that I started to get confused on what other step I should take. Would I add the vector E to Y component then use basic trig to find the height at that x distance?

Help, please and thanks :)
If the x component of the velocity is 2.998×106m/s, how long does it take an electron to reach the screen?

well V=d/t so

t= 1.64/2.998 E 6

t≈5.47 E -7 s

C6ZR1 said:
well V=d/t so

t= 1.64/2.998 E 6

t≈5.47 E -7 s
Good !

Now, what is the acceleration of the electron? In what direction does the electron accelerate?

d=Vi*t+1/2 at^2

d-Vi*t=1/2at^2

1.64-(4.14 E 6 * 5.47 E -7 )= 1/2*a*(5.47 E -7 )^2

-0.625=1.496 E -13*a

a= -4.175 E 12m/s^2I'd assume that it would accelerate in the positive Y direction since the number is negative and the Electric field is in that direction.

C6ZR1 said:
d=Vi*t+1/2 at^2

d-Vi*t=1/2at^2

1.64-(4.14 E 6 * 5.47 E -7 )= 1/2*a*(5.47 E -7 )^2

-0.625=1.496 E -13*a

a= -4.175 E 12m/s^2
This is completely wrong.

You used a value for d that is purely in the x direction.

The acceleration, a, has a component of zero in the x direction.

The initial velocity has both x and y components (neither of which is zero) but you used the magnitude of the initial velocity.

I'd assume that it would accelerate in the positive Y direction since the number is negative and the Electric field is in that direction.
The Electric field is in the +y direction, but the charge of the electron is negative.

How is the force on a charged particle related to the electric field ?

F=QE E=KQ/r^2

F=KQ^2/r^2

C6ZR1 said:
F=QE E=KQ/r^2

F=KQ^2/r^2
It's the F=QE that you need for this. You have E, and Q . Then if you have the force, can you find acceleration from that ?

F=QE where E= 5.34 N/C Q=1.602 E -19 C so F=8.555 E -19 N

F=ma 8.555 E -19 = 9.11 E -31 *a a=9.39E 11 m/s^2

is that correct? My found acceleration seems to be really high.

C6ZR1 said:
F=QE where E= 5.34 N/C Q=1.602 E -19 C so F=8.555 E -19 N

F=ma 8.555 E -19 = 9.11 E -31 *a a=9.39E 11 m/s^2

is that correct? My found acceleration seems to be really high.

Yes, that seems high. ...

However, the time interval is quite small, and the initial velocity is quite large.

See how it all works out,

Wait, I'm still some what confused. so the acceleration is the y component they are asking for?

C6ZR1 said:
Wait, I'm still some what confused. so the acceleration is the y component they are asking for?
It's a lot like the usual projectile problem.

The motion in the x-direction is independent of the motion in the y-direction.

Remember, in this case the electric force, and acceleration are in the negative y-direction because the charge of the electron is negative. Also, in this problem they just ask for the "y component of the electron's velocity (sign included) when the electron hits the screen".

oh ok, so then if the acceleration is negative then would I just subtract it from its initial velocity?

y direction: 4.14 E6 (sin 43.6) ≈ 2.855 E 6 - a=9.39E 11 m/s^2 ?

How is uniform acceleration related to change in velocity and elapsed time?

Is it the rate of change of velocity/ time?

C6ZR1 said:
Is it the rate of change of velocity/ time?
Yes. And since the acceleration is only in the -y direction, only the y component of the velocity changes.

I understand that, but with acceleration found how would we find the y component at that distance x? Add it to the y component of the initial velocity?

C6ZR1 said:
I understand that, but with acceleration found how would we find the y component at that distance x? Add it to the y component of the initial velocity?
According to what's in your original post, "What is the y component of the electron's velocity (sign included) when the electron hits the screen?"

It only wants the y component of the velocity just before the electron hits the screen.

But, finding the y position on thee screen isn't all that difficult.

y = yi + (vi)yt + (1/2) ay t2

oh, so for this problem would it be?

y=0+2.855 E6*5.47 E-7+1/2-9.39 E11*(5.47E-2)^2

C6ZR1 said:
oh, so for this problem would it be?

y=0+2.855 E6*5.47 E-7+1/2(-9.39) E11*(5.47E-2)^2
That looks good, if you insist on finding this quantity. (But the power of ten with the time looks wrong. Isn't the time of flight t≈5.47×10-7 s ?)

This should give the same result as
(1.64 m)tan(43.6°)-(1/2)9.39×1011(5.47×10-7)2

ok so my result from first equation is 1.42121 and from second one which you provided is 1.42127. Now regarding the units I keep coming up with m^2, is that right?

C6ZR1 said:
ok so my result from first equation is 1.42121 and from second one which you provided is 1.42127. Now regarding the units I keep coming up with m^2, is that right?
How do you get m2 ?

(m/s)(s) → ?

m/s2)(s2) → ?

I think I just randomly wrote it on my scratch paper.:redface:

I tried entering in the answer of 1.42 with m as units but its still wrong. :/ should I try going out a few more decimal places and putting the units as no units?

C6ZR1 said:
I think I just randomly wrote it on my scratch paper.:redface:

I tried entering in the answer of 1.42 with m as units but its still wrong. :/ should I try going out a few more decimal places and putting the units as no units?
What is the wording of the question you're answering?

Are they asking for the position on the screen at which the electron makes impact,

... or are they asking for the y-component of the electron's velocity at impact?

"What is the y component of the electron's velocity (sign included) when the electron hits the screen?"

Sounds to me like its velocity

So in that case would it be 2.855 E6?

C6ZR1 said:
So in that case would it be 2.855 E6?
No.

How much does the (negative) acceleration decrease the vertical component of the velocity in a time of 5.47×10-7 seconds?

well if acceleration is the change in velocity/ time then would it be -9.39E11= 2.855 E6- vy/ 5.47×10-7 ?

C6ZR1 said:
well if acceleration is the change in velocity/ time then would it be -9.39E11= (2.855 E6- vy)/ 5.47×10-7 ?
If you use parentheses correctly, it's almost OK.

The change in velocity (y-component) is (vf)y - 2.855×106 .

You have these reversed.

ohhhh gotcha, and I guess I should start using those parentheses more often hehe.

So solving for Vfy I get that it is about 2.34137 E6

I think that's about right.

ok the numerical value is correct but the units are still wrong! lol

C6ZR1 said:
ok the numerical value is correct but the units are still wrong! lol
You're now answering a question regarding velocity, not position so it has different units than the last time you asked about units.

* face palm * I need to stop doing homework so late, I got it now. Thank you soooo much for your help and time. I really appreciate it! This will certainly be a question I'll review for an upcoming exam :smile:

C6ZR1 said:
* face palm * I need to stop doing homework so late, I got it now. Thank you soooo much for your help and time. I really appreciate it! This will certainly be a question I'll review for an upcoming exam :smile:
You're welcome.

Time for me to get some sleep too.

1. What is a screen for detecting electrons?

A screen for detecting electrons is a device that is used to visualize the presence and behavior of electrons. It is typically made of a material that emits light when hit by electrons, allowing scientists to observe and study them.

2. How does a screen for detecting electrons work?

A screen for detecting electrons works by using a material that is sensitive to electrons, such as a phosphor or a scintillator. When electrons hit the screen, they transfer their energy to the material, causing it to emit light that can be observed and measured.

3. What are the applications of a screen for detecting electrons?

A screen for detecting electrons has many applications in scientific research, including in the fields of physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to study the properties and behavior of electrons, as well as to detect and analyze particles and radiation.

4. How is a screen for detecting electrons different from a regular screen?

A screen for detecting electrons is designed specifically to detect and visualize electrons, while a regular screen is used for displaying images or information. A screen for detecting electrons is also much more sensitive and precise, as it is able to detect individual electrons.

5. Can a screen for detecting electrons be used for other particles?

Yes, a screen for detecting electrons can also be used to detect other types of particles, such as protons, alpha particles, and beta particles. However, the material used in the screen may need to be different in order to be sensitive to these particles.