1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A set of algebraic operations producing unique results based on order?

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to find a set of five (5) algebraic functions a(x), b(x), c(x), d(x), and e(x) that for every order they can be applied, will produce a unique result. That is, a(b(c(d(e(x))))) should be different from e(d(c(b(a(x))))) for every possible x. And every other unique ordering should produce a unique result as well.

Constraints:
    x is constrained to integers where 0 <= x <= (2^16 - 1).
    The result of each ordering must be constrained to 0 <= result <= (2^32 - 1).
    The functions may only contain basic operations: addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

If you could provide an example of five such functions, it would help me greatly. I would love to do some further reading after I get a working example of said functions.

EDIT: Bonus points if the five functions also produce unique results for any partial ordering. That is, a(b(d(x))) must be different than d(e(x)), and so on.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted