A silly question about why the sky is blue

• B
  • Thread starter fando1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, the sky is blue because higher frequency blue wavelengths are scattered more than red. The sun looks red because the blue light scatter more than the red light.
fando1234
I know that 'the sky is blue because higher frequency blue wavelengths are scattered more than red'.

What has always confused me is that when I imagine this, I imagine the blue wavelengths bouncing around between atoms in the atomosphete. Whilst red light interacts less, so travels through relatively unimpeded. To me that feels like the red light should be what reaches our eyes as these frequencies can make it through the atmosphere without being scattered.

Obviously I'm wrong. But can someone explain in laymens terms why this picture is incorrect, and what I should be picturing? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
fando1234 said:
To me that feels like the red light should be what reaches our eyes as these frequencies can make it through the atmosphere without being scattered.
And you're right, and this is exactly what happens when you look at the source of light under high scattering conditions - i.e. at the sun at sunset or sunrise.

Now, imagine somebody else standing some distance away and also looking at the sunset. They will also see a red sun. The blue light scattered from their line of sight towards the star will be bouncing around instead of hitting their eyes, and some of it will enter your eyes instead. You'll see it as coming from random directions that are not the direction towards the sun, i.e. the blue sky.

Likes fando1234
Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

as-figure2.png

Attachments

• as-figure2.png
    as-figure2.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 513
Likes fando1234 and Bandersnatch
fando1234 said:
Whilst red light interacts less, so travels through relatively unimpeded. To me that feels like the red light should be what reaches our eyes as these frequencies can make it through the atmosphere without being scattered.
As others have eloquently pointed out, you're right.

Your question is about the colour of the sky, not the light source.The sky is all scattered light.
If not for scattered light, the sky would be transparent, and we would see black.

Likes fando1234
I've never liked any of the explanations of this question.
After some googling, and maths, I now know why.

wow

From what I've gathered, only 7% of the light from the sun is scattered.

wiki; "When the Sun is at the zenith in a cloudless sky, with 1361 W/m^2 above the atmosphere, direct sunlight is about 1050 W/m^2, and total insolation about 1120 W/m^2. This implies that under these conditions the diffuse radiation is only about 70 W/m2 out of the original 1361 W/m^2."

Hence, 93% of the "direct" light isn't scattered.

But!
100% of the "not looking directly at the sun" sky is a result of that 7% scattered light.

But!
The sun only covers 0.002% of the sky.
The scattered light comes from 99.998% of the sky.

Which, from my last equation, yielded that 350,000% of the light is scattered.
At which point, I gave up, and made lunch.

ps. I now like the "It's because of 'Rayleigh scattering' " explanation quite a bit more.

Last edited:
Likes Richard Crane

1. Why is the sky blue?

The sky appears blue because of a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering. As sunlight enters Earth's atmosphere, it collides with gas molecules and scatters in all directions. Blue light has a shorter wavelength and is scattered more than other colors, making it the most visible color in the sky.

2. Does the color of the sky change?

Yes, the color of the sky can change depending on different factors such as the time of day, weather conditions, and location. For example, the sky may appear more orange or red during sunrise and sunset due to the scattering of longer-wavelength colors like red and orange. Additionally, pollution and dust in the atmosphere can also affect the color of the sky.

3. Why does the sky sometimes appear to be a different shade of blue?

The color of the sky can vary depending on the amount of water vapor and dust particles in the atmosphere. These particles can absorb and scatter different wavelengths of light, causing the sky to appear lighter or darker shades of blue. Additionally, the angle at which sunlight enters the atmosphere can also affect the color of the sky.

4. Is the sky always blue on other planets?

No, the color of the sky on other planets can vary depending on their atmospheric composition and the type of star that they orbit. For example, Mars has a thin atmosphere that is primarily composed of carbon dioxide, giving it a reddish-pink sky. On the other hand, Jupiter has a thick atmosphere with different gases, causing its sky to appear blue.

5. Can the color of the sky affect our mood?

Some studies have shown that colors can have an impact on our mood, and the color blue is often associated with feelings of calmness and relaxation. Therefore, it is possible that the blue color of the sky may have a positive effect on our mood and well-being. However, other factors such as weather and personal experiences can also play a role in how the color of the sky affects us.